free website stats program just got new bike home and have a big problem | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

just got new bike home and have a big problem

Welcome to the Forum. I think you have a very worthwhile project there, and if you are careful doing the needed repairs, you will be rewarded with many miles of enjoyment. I love my 05 Glide.

I do have the HD manual. I am not used to the way the manual works. When I went to the stator replacement it kept referring to other procedures. I think I get how the steps work now. I wish someone had a youtube video of the repair. Removing the chain tensioner and clutch are a little scary. Has anyone done the repair without the block style primary drive locking tool. The write up on HDtalk used a cutting borad to lock the primary. My manual says to not use that tool (HD-41214) . It says to use HD-47977 tool. It is a long skinny piece tha fits between the teeth of the engine and clutch sprocket. I am most nervous about messing up the clutch. Is a clutch adjustment after reinstall normal?

Some people jam something between the chain and sprocket to lock it up. I DO NOT like that method. There's many things you can make/use to fit diagonally between compensator and clutch sprockets to lock them up. Clutch adjustment is easy and usually necessary after removing assembly. Remember the clutch hub nut is reverse thread, clockwise to remove.

I do have the HD manual. I am not used to the way the manual works. When I went to the stator replacement it kept referring to other procedures. I think I get how the steps work now. I wish someone had a youtube video of the repair. Removing the chain tensioner and clutch are a little scary. Has anyone done the repair without the block style primary drive locking tool. The write up on HDtalk used a cutting borad to lock the primary. My manual says to not use that tool (HD-41214) . It says to use HD-47977 tool. It is a long skinny piece tha fits between the teeth of the engine and clutch sprocket. I am most nervous about messing up the clutch. Is a clutch adjustment after reinstall normal?

Harley Davidson Community This will help when you reassemble:s

I ordered the 2006 dyna service manual and the replacement / updated rotor and stator kit along with primary and derby gaskets.

No regulator? Could be a little risky unless your on top of things when you start it for the first time.

Please explain.

For whatever reason, these things usually fail together or within a little while of each other. Hoople might be able to give you the low-down on why. I am just talking from experience. If I was in your shoes not knowing the history of the bike, I would replace the Stator, Rotor and Voltage Regulator. That way your charging system is a known system.

With the pix you posted, something has torn up at least one of the stator coils. It will be interesting to see what shape things are in when you get the compensator, clutch basket and chain out of the way and can pull the rotor off to see the stator.

On both my bikes, the inner primary does NOT have to come off to pull the rotor. I just use an old primary chain tensioner shoe to jam the chain and sprocket when loosening the compensator nut and clutch basket nut. The HD tool is not needed for this one. I pull the compensator, clutch basket and chain off as a unit.

To get the rotor off, I thread two carriage bolts into the rotor and grab them with a couple of vice-grip pliers. Put my feet up on the bike and yank the rotor off. Easy stuff. But your primary may interfere with the rotor coming off. Have to eyeball it. If so, then you may have to loosen or remove the inner. (That is what I hate about the way HD designs stuff. You have to remove so much stuff just to do a simple job!!)

Let us know what you find. PIX!!

TQ

I have in the past pulled the compensator sprocket off without pulling the clutch basket.This was on Evo's & TC88's. You have to have total slack in the primary chain and wiggle the compensator parts off just right. There were a lot of changes made to the Dynas in '06, so yours may be different. With that much bare wire pieces out in the open I would say your magnets gave up the ghost. I see you ordered the rotor anyway.Good luck with it & enjoy your new Toy
tourbox

No regulator? Could be a little risky unless your on top of things when you start it for the first time.

Please explain.

I would not take a chance with out a new regulator, and make sure your battery is fully charged before you start it up after repairs, this way you will not over work the NEW charging system If your in doubt about the battery charge it and have it load tested JMO

I agree with replacing all three major items: stator, rotor, and regulator. The peace of mind that comes from knowing, that none of what you did not replace is damaged and on its way out, is priceless. That is, once you get over any sticker shock.

Also, remember to clean all oil out of where the red locktite goes on reassembly, or the locktite won't stick. I recommend a 99% Isopropyl alcohol on q-tips or whatever you need to get good cleaning. You can get the alcohol at a local electronics part store.

You might need a serious breaker bar to the get the compensator loose. Be gentle as you can. Our local masters can let you know what is at risk here.

Good luck, and keep the pictures coming...
Rich P

PS, She is a sleek looking machine.

Please explain.

There are no fuses, fusible links or circuit breakers that will protect your new stator if something goes wrong. The stator is the fuse.

You talked about having small pieces of copper wire in the primary. Three phase stators are 3 insulated & isolated coils of wires. While these coils were getting chopped up by the turning magnets, shorting between the coils most likely took place. That shorting action could have easily spiked just 1 pair of final rectifiers of your 3 phase regulator. Missing 1 phase won't throw a code. This will lead you to believe all is good. But if the regulator is shorted, fifty miles down the road that 1 dead shorted phase of the old regulator will turn your brand new stator into a another melt down.

With the right tools you can detect issues such as a single shorted phase in the regulator, but without them, there is a risk involved.

Back