free website stats program Just bought a new helmet | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Just bought a new helmet

I wrecked a bike once. Fortunately I was dressed with a leather jacket and gloves and a full face helmet. You could see the way that I rolled on the road from the tip of my left glove to my shoulders and then on my right elbow. The right jaw of the helmet and the face shield had some serious road rash.
Ken

I like 1/2 coverage carbon fiber helmet the best of all the different brands and types I have worn over 30 years of riding. The thing is full coverage helmet IS the quietest, most protective but price is higher and allows sportrider approaching the ton to have full concentration on riding skill, throttle position and road feel. On a Harley, things are not so frenetic and the enjoyment of the ride is a higher priority. Your ride, you decide!:D

I've had issues with full face helmets being loud inside. I wouldn't be able to ride 5 min without ruining my ears. With the windshield it gets quiet without a helmet. I still haven't found a solution for when I leave the state and need a helmet.

That's one thing I like about the half helmet. I can carry it in my saddlebag and be ready if a young lady wants a ride.
Thanks for the responses!

During the summer I wear a 1/2 helmet and 3/4 during the cooler months which are few on the gulf coast. Had a crash back in March and was what I consider lucky, had on the 1/2 helmet which probably saved my head because the helmet was torn up pretty bad, it was a HD, DOT.

I own several (full, 3/4 and 1/2). As soon as I decide I'm going out for a ride, all the voices point at the full face, regardless of the bike or ride. Like many, I've heard of stories of reasons to wear full face over the others. I'm also lucky so far I haven't road tested one.

Mostly, I'll wear a 1/2 on short distances and a full for longer and colder rides.
For some reason, the 1/2 gives me security in knowing I have a better field of view on night rides in the middle of NYC (especially at night), but always my demons vs. angels are at war, pulling for the full.

Bottom line, it depends on the ride and the mood/feel of the day.

I own several (full, 3/4 and 1/2). As soon as I decide I'm going out for a ride, all the voices point at the full face, regardless of the bike or ride. Like many, I've heard of stories of reasons to wear full face over the others. I'm also lucky so far I haven't road tested one.

Mostly, I'll wear a 1/2 on short distances and a full for longer and colder rides.
For some reason, the 1/2 gives me security in knowing I have a better field of view on night rides in the middle of NYC (especially at night), but always my demons vs. angels are at war, pulling for the full.

Bottom line, it depends on the ride and the mood/feel of the day.

I feel the same as you. I have put about 700 miles on with the 1/2 helmet and like the openness but it is not as safe. I ride the Harley conservatively and feel pretty comfortable, on the Ducati it's full face only!

I have worn an open face helmet but prefer a full face as it gives better protection from the elements (rain hitting face at 70+ mph is sore) and i tend to replace it every 2 years
current helmet is modular and has a built in bluetooth system which i can connect to wife's helmet and have an intercom with a 500 yards range a touch of the button to switch it off

Brian

Back