free website stats program Just a question about cam chains and gears | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Just a question about cam chains and gears

Replacing the cam chain tensioner shoes is a good idea; CYCO shoes are a much better and cheaper replacement part than OEM. 2005 still running the "B: lifter; if not making any noise why replace a perfectly good lifter? Get the little magnet thingies to hold the lifters in place when you remove the cam plate/cams. This will save you to work of removing lifter blocks and buying new block gaskets. Adjustable pushrods will be needed unless you plan to remove pushrods from the top. SE kit 18404-08 is a good option and includes everything you need, pushrods, o-rings, clips, etc.

If bike is truly "bone stock" you might want to consider a Stage I upgrade and replace the OEM air filter and exhaust and let the motor breath. A flash tuner or a fueler at that point would help out a bit as well. Lots of advice on this forum in that regard. 2005 was a bad year for OEM heads, leaky valve guide seals which let to high oil consumption and carbon build up on pistons. Might want to run a compression check and leak down test to check the health of the top end.;)

IMHO the best thing you can do and also stated by dolt is to open it up and let it breath.
A stage 1 air cleaner, exhaust along with a fuel management system will get you there and your scoot will thank you for it.
If you're at all handy around a wrench this can all be done in a afternoon with adult beverages to follow. :)

Thanx guys. I decided to stick with the shoes for now. I'm putting in the lifters cuz I already bought them. (A Couple of people said it was a good idea). I'm looking at the Cobra Powrpro and considering a big sucker air cleaner to match my slipons. If I get different heads jugs and cams down the road I should be all set electronically.

Is it a good idea to put new inner cam bearings in now or can it wait till next year when I get new cams? The bike is a 2005 Classic.

Is it a good idea to put new inner cam bearings in now or can it wait till next year when I get new cams? The bike is a 2005 Classic.

If it were me, as long as I was in there I'd change it for piece of mind. The cost of the bearings are cheap insurance. JMHO.

good point, I think an Andrews kit on ebay was about $32.00. Would you do inner and outer, because I made a tool that allows me to take the inner cam shoe off without pulling the cams from the cam plate.

good point, I think an Andrews kit on ebay was about $32.00. Would you do inner and outer, because I made a tool that allows me to take the inner cam shoe off without pulling the cams from the cam plate.
Thanx guys. I decided to stick with the shoes for now. I'm putting in the lifters cuz I already bought them. (A Couple of people said it was a good idea). I'm looking at the Cobra Powrpro and considering a big sucker air cleaner to match my slipons. If I get different heads jugs and cams down the road I should be all set electronically.

No need to replace outer cam bearings if you do not remove the cams. $459 for the Cobra tuner is too much to pay for a "piggy back" tuner, particularly for a Stage I motor. I know what the tuner promises but for about half the price you can go with the Dobeck Gen 3. If, in the future, you install cams, increase compression, have heads worked, etc., you will need a "flash" tuner like the DynoJet Powervision or the TTS Mastertune and a proper dyno tune; the Cobra unit won't get the job done.;)

Back