free website stats program Just a question about cam chains and gears | Harley Davidson Forums

Just a question about cam chains and gears

Fighter78

I've read all sorts of personal preference on chain or gear. I myself lean towards gear considering I like the Idea of never opening the cam chest again. However, has anybody ever thought of running gears on the cams and a chain on the crank. If your crank is out of spec at least you would be done pulling the cams. In my mind just changing the outer shoe would be a snap. I have 35,000 on a 2005 Classic and I'm getting ready to take this on. I bought S&S lifters, quickee pushrods, and I'm ordering gears and bearings in a 1 1/2 weeks.

I've read all sorts of personal preference on chain or gear. I myself lean towards gear considering I like the Idea of never opening the cam chest again. However, has anybody ever thought of running gears on the cams and a chain on the crank.

Won't work; gear driven cams are ground to be driven by gears, not chains. With a chain drive system, the pinion, outer cam drive, rear cam and front cam sprockets all spin in the same direction. However, with gear driven system, each driven gear spins in the opposite direction as the drive gear which means that a set of gear drive cams driven by chains will be spinning in the wrong direction. If you are going to run gear driven cams, run gear driven cams and order both inner and outer gear sets; don't try to reinvent the wheel.

IMO, if you are going to change to gear go all the way, keep in mind you will have some noise from the gears, H D changed the outer cover to just that a non supporting cover, un like the Evo and older engines. Also if you run out is too much the gears will eventually beat them selves up also and you may find metal shavings JMO

If I go with gears is it necessary to change the cams too or can I just press the sprockets off and press gears on?

Also would I have to retune my fuel injection after the install.
What other work has been done? A little more info would be helpful. IMHO adding a little more fuel would be a plus with performance and help cool the engine.

The bike is complete bone stock. I just bought it last week with 35000 miles and by the look of the exhaust clamp bolts I don't think the cam chest has ever been opened. It's starting to look like I might just replace the shoes tappets and pushrods and keep going. I was hoping for just a set of gears on my stock cams but it doesn't look like it will work out that way.

The bike is complete bone stock. I just bought it last week with 35000 miles and by the look of the exhaust clamp bolts I don't think the cam chest has ever been opened. It's starting to look like I might just replace the shoes tappets and pushrods and keep going. I was hoping for just a set of gears on my stock cams but it doesn't look like it will work out that way.

Once you start upgrades like stage 1 air cleaner and mods to the exhaust you'll want to consider adding more fuel to the mix. With the mods I mentioned you will lean it out more than it already is.

To lean is not a good thing. With the work you mentioned, adding a fueler is not crucial at this point.

Back