free website stats program Jealousy... You've got to be kidding me! | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Jealousy... You've got to be kidding me!

<snip> It is like when riding weather comes around - I make plans to ride and say "I will be back in a little bit" - well everyone knows "a little bit" means 1) I will call you in an hour or so and extend the time. 2) I will call you in another hour or so to tell you about a new road I found 3) You call and no one answers because they know that "I will be back in a little bit" means 6-7-8 - 9 hours later. Maybe later than that. LOL
<snip>
So true! I have learnt to overquote on times or just go out for the day. If you run early (yeah like that happens!) then you can get brownie points. :wall

God I never thought I'd get the response's to this post as I have. This forum, you guys (gals) are awesome. I am a romantic. I will do for my wiife always before I do for me. Another words, if I want to go for a ride, I ask first, "Is there anything you need or want before I go." It's just funny. I LOVE MY BIKE. Not more than her. But I LOVE MY BIKE. I think someone said, they touch and look at their bike everyday. Well, so do I. It is beautiful. Now, if I told my wife that, she'd think I was nuts. She just doesn't understand how a guy (gal) can love a piece of metal. It's a beautiful piece of metal. Now she'll say, "I like my car", I don't want to go to bed with it." Be honest with you. I wish my FatBob was in the house instead of out in the COLD garage. Oh, my god, if she heard me say that. LOL. I remember back in the early 70's I had a Truimph Bonneville. I brought the sucker downstairs in a house me and my buddy were renting. Now the stairs didn't go straight down. Oh no, they had two 90 degree turns. Going down was a piece of cake. Coming up, well, we tired a rope around my buddies bumper out back. I tied it to the forks and as he pulled I popped wheels up the stairs. Ha Ha. Boy I think about that now, what an idiot. Now I have to agree with my wife. That was dumb. But I have never told her that one. There are some things you just don't tell a women.

God I never thought I'd get the response's to this post as I have. This forum, you guys (gals) are awesome. I am a romantic. I will do for my wiife always before I do for me. Another words, if I want to go for a ride, I ask first, "Is there anything you need or want before I go." It's just funny. I LOVE MY BIKE. Not more than her. But I LOVE MY BIKE. I think someone said, they touch and look at their bike everyday. Well, so do I. It is beautiful. Now, if I told my wife that, she'd think I was nuts. She just doesn't understand how a guy (gal) can love a piece of metal. It's a beautiful piece of metal. Now she'll say, "I like my car", I don't want to go to bed with it." Be honest with you. I wish my FatBob was in the house instead of out in the COLD garage. Oh, my god, if she heard me say that. LOL. I remember back in the early 70's I had a Truimph Bonneville. I brought the sucker downstairs in a house me and my buddy were renting. Now the stairs didn't go straight down. Oh no, they had two 90 degree turns. Going down was a piece of cake. Coming up, well, we tired a rope around my buddies bumper out back. I tied it to the forks and as he pulled I popped wheels up the stairs. Ha Ha. Boy I think about that now, what an idiot. Now I have to agree with my wife. That was dumb. But I have never told her that one. There are some things you just don't tell a women.

I've heard about thes things happening but never believed they were true,I guess I'm blessed my wife bought my bikes for me.:D

This started off about Jealousy over motorcycles and boy-toys but it really comes down to controlling and relationships. Been through the same torments with my wife; not only jealous of my riding but also of my friends. She’d say I don’t spend enough time with her, the family or that I love my bike more than her etc…. Big long face every time I wanted to go for a ride, countless arguments and guilt trips. Than comes your punishment!
There is hope however. If you can get her to read Dr. Laura Schlessinger, The Proper Care And Feeding Of Husbands, it will likely change your relationship for ever. In fact read it yourself first like I did.
Men are simple creatures needing only three basic requirements, they need to fix things and be recognized for it, need to be fed and have lots of good sex. Women are way more complex and operate on emotions. If you’ve ever heard Dr. Laura’s show or read any of her books you already know she holds no punches with whinny (Edit) wives. Bottom line is that book changed my wife overnight, something I never thought possible after 9 years of being the biggest (Edit) on the planet. Though she has no interest in riding motorcycles she is now my best friend/wife and our relationship has never been so good, in fact it’s great.
Her advice to wives, treat him like a King and he will treat you like a Queen!
Buy it and read it!
Dr. Laura

[notes]
A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community
[/notes]

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, reading after riding....therapy...AND it is free! Dr Laura or Dr Phil types eat your heart out.

A Harley's only a piece of hardware or in the health industry, a tool like a prescribed med, nothing intangible about that, yet it inspires so much feelings and affects the health of others, including those who have as well as those who have not.

It's a complete package rolled into one...kinda like Pandora's box, only nothing evil inside that those of us at HDT will try to help you fix...the intangibles are up to you!

Let me add to this jealousy. Guilt. I'm 55 years old. You'd think I could buy anything I want and not feel guilty. My mother and father in-law's (ya there still living, 94 and 86 years old) comments were when they found out I bought a Harley was, "Gee do you really need that. That seems like a waste of money. You could both go on a nice vacation and have some left over to do some landscaping or something." Wait, I'm not done. At work. I work at a small shop. Been there 30 years. 20 employees. Three of us have bikes. You should see and HEAR the jealousy when I ride my bike to work. It's, "Boy what'd ya do, get a raise." "Boy, must be nice, I can't afford one." Well, that's to bad. Why do we have to feel guily when we buy or do something for ourselves. Dr. Phil or Dr. Laura what's your answer. Like I said, I'm 55 years old. Have worked since I was 13. Don't tell me what I can and can't have. Gee, ya know, as I'm writing this, I think I might just go buy that new 883. Then they'll have two reasons to be jealous. Your bike is a thing of beauty. So is your wife. And I let her know it all the time. But we are different. Ya see, I didn't think twice about spending around 1000 bucks to take my FatBob to a Stage one. My wife on the other hand, would have taken the 1000 bucks, bought sheets, pillows, some more dishes, a new lamp, etc. God, now I'm making my selve feel bad. I need to stop writing, get up, slap myself and go to work.

I agree about not feeling guilty about buying something nice for ourselves. I, too, have worked my entire life, moved multiple times for Uncle Sam, spent half my military time on alert in case the dreaded Russians launched a nuclear attack, raised 2 great kids with all the associated camps and sports, gone on dozens of fun family vacations (Disney, cruises, etc), never missed a Valentines Day or anniversary, and on and on. My wife was actually very supportive of me getting back into riding.

The main thing I have to be extremely cautious about now is that I don't dare ever make any comments about money being tight or how we should cut back a little or ANYTHING along those lines. As long as that $20,000+ investment in my sanity is sitting in the garage, I keep my thoughts to myself in this area.

I can deal with other people being jealous about my motorcycles or me riding, but not the wife or her family. Actually this Thread has little to do with motorcycles per say, and a lot more to do with spousal control and relationships. Ya my “therapy” as I also called it was riding my bike/s and the worse things got, the more therapy I thought I needed. But the bottom line was it was a temporary fix and wasn’t doing anything to help the actual problem, the relationship with my wife. Don’t believe for a moment it’s because of your motorcycle; that’s simply a point of contention for a spouse who doesn’t understand her roll as a wife and your life long best friend. I found out that my problems in this area had nothing to do with my motorcycles but everything to do with my spouse having built up anger and frustration because her attempt to control everything including me wasn’t working, so in her mind it was my fault we didn’t get along.
I’m not a big fan of radio and talk show therapists though I do believe they often have excellent advice. The irony to our enlightenment and sure cure to our issues came from a book that had been sitting on my wife’s night stand for years. It was given to her by a close girl friend as a wedding gift and neither of us paid any attention to it until one day when we finally hit a crossroads. Take my word for it, for all you guys who can’t say I have the most wonderful understanding wife on this planet, The Proper Care And Feeding Of Husbands by Dr. Laura will most likely change the way your wife treats you if you can get her to read it. And the minute she starts to read it she will begin to immediately see herself as the subject in countless examples of women messing up their relationships with their husbands because they simply don’t get it!
Had I not read this book and experienced the overnight changes in my wife’s behavior and immediate turnaround of our relationship we would have simply continued to be miserable with each other. This book saved our marriage and I no longer consider my riding as a means of therapy but simply another means of enjoyment. Best of all, my wife no longer feels threatened by my motorcycles or anything else I do that doesn’t involve her because now that she has confronted herself and her head strong poor behavior, she has regained her confidence in our relationship and knows what she has to do to keep her man happy and reap the benefits of being treated like a Queen.

Back