free website stats program is this normal? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

is this normal?

I understand the engine upgrades part of it but I doubt it the riding part of it. I am still new to riding (this is my first season) and rarely go higher than 3k before shifting except for the occasional romp when going through a tunnel. but that's rare.

A big part of me getting a bike was convincing my wife how much money we would save on gas going to and from work.
WAP.gif

Forget that argument. It costs way more to own a Harley than a car. My bike is less than a year old and I already put a set of tires on it.

I understand!:p

Adam, It would be so easy to do and get Right if you had an exhaust analyzer but here are some ballpark Super "E" numbers. Trying to set it right by looking at the MPG your getting or a "seat of pants" feel is impossible in my opinion.

intermediate jet ,028 to .031 (lean side.)
main jet .066 to .074 (lean side)

You also could check the float level to make sure it is right.

Your next step is to see what jets you have in it now, along with your float level..

Forget that argument. It costs way more to own a Harley than a car. My bike is less than a year old and I already put a set of tires on it.

UH OH! I hope she aint reading over his shoulder on this one.
This may not be pretty, but I thought I was going to pull the fuel card when I bought my bike. I started in with the calculator and all the "stuff" that gets bought and it seems the ROI (return on investment) was something like 3,500 years..................
All kidding aside, some good advice here. You really have to take your time with this and make a small adjustment over a a whole tankfull of gas. It takes quite a bit of time and patience to get it dialed in, unless of course you do have access to the exhaust analyzers and such. I started out with my RK getting 25-27MPG in July 09 and am up to mid 30's now.

Bodeen

my ROI isn't that difficult to cover. The bike was free so all I have to cover is insurance and maintenance. Even at 30mpg it is still saving me money over my SUV which I want to keeped parked over the summer. I just have to keep it cheaper than her Toyota corolla.
WAP.gif

I have a 97 heritage softail with a s&s carb, Andrews cam, upgraded ignition, and 2 into 1 exhaust. I bought the bike this way so I'm just curious if its normal for me to get just over 125 miles per tank. This seems awfully low or should I expect this with these sort of mods?
WAP.gif

My thought is; Before you do anything to the bike or carb, go fill it to the top and zero your trip meter, go for a 100 or so mile ride then fill it up to the top again. Have a calculator with you and take the miles traveled and divide it by the gallons used, including the tenths/hundredths, to refill it and get your miles per gallon. Now you've got something to work with. I would think that 38-45 mpg range should be in the ball park riding normally. If you are getting around 25 you should get your jetting looked at because it is running way too rich. ----jack:57:

Back