free website stats program is this normal? | Harley Davidson Forums

is this normal?

Adamal47

I have a 97 heritage softail with a s&s carb, Andrews cam, upgraded ignition, and 2 into 1 exhaust. I bought the bike this way so I'm just curious if its normal for me to get just over 125 miles per tank. This seems awfully low or should I expect this with these sort of mods?
WAP.gif

What is your MPG. Because if you have a 2 gallon tank that is Great mileage and if you have a 6 gallon tank...well you know..:p:p

If you record the number of miles traveled and record the gallons you fill up with at the next fillup, you can figure your MPG from there.

Throttle use over the norm will lower the MPG.

Well I doubt your running on vapors when you fill up so your looking at maybe 23 miles per gallon which is poor even for city driving. Yes, your bike is thirsty.

The key items to look at for miles per gallons numbers is 1) cruise A/F ratios and 2) amount of spark timing at cruise RPM under light load map pressures.

I have a 97 heritage softail with a s&s carb, Andrews cam, upgraded ignition, and 2 into 1 exhaust. I bought the bike this way so I'm just curious if its normal for me to get just over 125 miles per tank. This seems awfully low or should I expect this with these sort of mods?
WAP.gif

I have a 94 FLSTC with about the same mods, EV27 Andrews cam, Dyna 2000 ignition, Python 2 into 2 exhaust, and get 42 to 44 MPG if I stay out of the throttle. Drops to 39 to 41 if I'm running hard with friends. I've got a stock 4.2 gal tank and I'm looking for a gas station at about 140 miles.:D

Be sure to check the tank vent check valve. If it aint working properly, you could be force feeding fuel through the system. Ask me how I know...........

Bodeen

Adam, just curious. What RPM does your engine tach at when in high gear (think your a 5 speed?) and doing 60 miles per hour.

Back