free website stats program Is it a bad idea to leave the choke engaged like this? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Is it a bad idea to leave the choke engaged like this?

Yep...a little of both warmth and rich...means easy starts with little if any mixture enrichment/choke here in SoCal. :small3d038:

Another point to think about . If it starts and runs ok with out using the enricher you may be running a tad rich.
I think all is well with it, here is my logic, if I just tried to start it without giving it a couple of twists of the throttle, it does not start right up. I was given that tip by a friend, that instead of pulling the choke, it was better to just give it a couple of twists. I never asked why then, I just did it and it seems to start better by doing that with or without the choke. (I know the difference, choke is just easier to spell). Before, when I would just pull the choke, I would have to give it a couple of starts. I guess by twisting the throttle prior to start, I'm sort of priming some fuel?? I don't start the bike unless I'm going to ride it, so I'm not out there in any extreme temps. It seems to work for me so I will keep doing it. Never had a problem with the bike, just get to wondering sometimes. :) BTW, I do park it with a bit of Seafoam in the tank for the winter and once or twice a summer I run a bit through. Seems to be working for me....but, if it was running rich, on a carbed bike, would the sign be excessive smoke/black from the pipes? I get some but not a lot, of black not smoke.

I think I'll quit thinking & just ride it. :D

Joy when you twist the throttle a couple of times the accelerator pump squirts some neat petrol into the throat of the carb so providing a very rich mixture on the first turn over of the engine so you get a good start

Brian

Kind of what I was thinking was happening there Brian....sometimes I just think too much. :panic

Joy,

Next time you have your air filter out for cleaning,,,, Look at the Opening into the carb,,, a 3/8 diameter looking round pipe fits upward in center of Venturi, about a 1. inch high... Watch that area and twist you throttle a 1/4 twist or so... You should see a squirt gun like steady stream of fuel headed into the slide area of you carb..

That squirt or two of raw gas is what replaces the pulling of the enricher on your bike.. and also allows the engine speed to Increase with out a hesitation when twisting throttle to Speed away..

Neat Stuff...

signed....BUBBIE

When it is cold here i use the enricher and a couple of squirts from the accelerator pump and if I'm lucky it'll start

Brian

Joy,

Next time you have your air filter out for cleaning,,,, Look at the Opening into the carb,,, a 3/8 diameter looking round pipe fits upward in center of Venturi, about a 1. inch high... Watch that area and twist you throttle a 1/4 twist or so... You should see a squirt gun like steady stream of fuel headed into the slide area of you carb..

That squirt or two of raw gas is what replaces the pulling of the enricher on your bike.. and also allows the engine speed to Increase with out a hesitation when twisting throttle to Speed away..

Neat Stuff...

signed....BUBBIE
Bubbie, I won't be in danger of shooting my eye out will I? LOL I did that with one of our dual sports, I had hubby give me a 'quick & dirty' carb lesson. :) I caught him a bit too late, but I hope to have him show me a bit closer the next time he has a carb off of one of our 35+ combustible engines we have to maintain. :p Trust me, I hear about that alot....BUT, I don't necessarily want to tinker with my carb on the HD because it seems to work just fine.

EVO cold day twist 3 time pull enricher fire it up.
Idle a minute or so adjust enricher down as needed maybe even off. allow it to warm up a bit or ride easy until warmed up good to go. Number 1 reason for gasket seepage on EVO was ridding them hard before warmed up good.
Smitty, our definitions of cold may vary quite a bit. :p LOL, you will have your bike out in more extreme cold than I ever will. That may be why I don't really need to run it with the enrichener on much. :D

I'm with Bubbie on this one. Full choke for 30 sec. gradually push choke in as much as engine will stand. Approx. 2 min. and I'm off. Treat her gently for 3-5 min/miles then should be OK. On the choke/enrichener thing....I may be wrong but fuel is not increased by itself except by opening the throttle allowing more air in and thus increasing RPM's resulting in more fuel, resulting in more RPM's etc. The choke/enrichment is achieved by closing the butterfly valve (choke flap, whatever) and changing the air/fuel mixture. Hard to stall when your fuel is being rammed down your throat. This is my understanding of how the carb works. JMO

Murf a choke works by closing a butterfly valve and choking off the air flow so that more fuel is drawn from the jets by the suction of the pistons on the down stroke the choke butterfly would be located at the air inlet to the carb

an enricher system is an additional jet system that is controlled by a plunger the further out the plunger is the more fuel is allowed through the enricher system there is no reduction in air flow through the carb just extra fuel added

I hope that does not make things confusing

Brian

Back