free website stats program Is it a bad idea to leave the choke engaged like this? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Is it a bad idea to leave the choke engaged like this?

When I warm up my bike, I pull out the choke and let it run until I feel the heat at the top of the rear jug. Then, I put the choke back in. This takes about seven minutes. Is it a bad idea to leave out the choke like this? If it is, how can I warm up the engine without having to continuously reving it for 5-7 minutes?

On my '91 EVO, I pull out the enricher to start the engine. Then I open the throttle slightly while pushing in the enricher keeping the rpm at about 1200. I use the throttle drag star thumb screw to "set" the engine speed there until the rear valve covers start to feel warm to the touch. Back off the throttle drag and head on down the road. Easy.

TQ

That is an inricher Not a choke. big difference. A choke reduce air so air to fuel mix is higher. An enricher adds fuel.

I stand corrected - and should know by the number of times I've had one of those cv's apart. Mind you, I've never ever had a problem with the choke ...errr... enrichener.
Interesting point about the risk of flushing the cyl walls.

I stand corrected - and should know by the number of times I've had one of those cv's apart. Mind you, I've never ever had a problem with the choke ...errr... enrichener.
Interesting point about the risk of flushing the cyl walls.

Yes it is an enricher but confusion can be caused because the stock control knob says choke on it but the parts list call the cable with knob cable enrichment and the enricher is actually a starter valve isnt it easy to get confused unless you know the difference in how a choke and enricher do the task of providing more fuel during cold startup and warm up of the engine

Brian

I have not used my 'Enrichener/Choke' knob in over 2 years. I have an 05 deuce, carbed, but I give the bike a couple of twists of the throttle before I start it up, it starts first time every time. I DO however have to stay on the throttle, not gunning it, just holding it steady for a few minutes before it will idle on its own.

I have a major road where people typically drive 55-70 mph that I frequently have to cross or pull onto that is about 100 yards from my driveway, so, I make sure my bike is ready to romp so I can 'romp' it if I need to. (Kind of hard to see some of the traffic).

I did put in new spark plugs at the 10k service in the fall of 09, I replaced the battery last summer even though I wasn't having any issues, I just had some 'Chrome Cash' built up, so he got some of the leather bags for his saddle bags & I got a battery because anything else I wanted wouldn't fit a deuce, LOL.

So, am I doing the right thing, (or the same as using the enrichener). I'm thinking that by me staying on the bike keeping the RPM's up manually is essentially the same effect. Is one better than the other....Hmmmm, just wondering. :newsmile053:

My thought process is 1) I don't like to leave the bike running while unattended and 2) I just like to be able to start the bike without having to pull the enrichener every time....even if I do have to keep it at a dull roar until she warms up.

I have not used my 'Enrichener/Choke' knob in over 2 years. I have an 05 deuce, carbed, but I give the bike a couple of twists of the throttle before I start it up, it starts first time every time. I DO however have to stay on the throttle, not gunning it, just holding it steady for a few minutes before it will idle on its own.

So, am I doing the right thing, (or the same as using the enrichener). I'm thinking that by me staying on the bike keeping the RPM's up manually is essentially the same effect. Is one better than the other....Hmmmm, just wondering. :newsmile053:

My thought process is 1) I don't like to leave the bike running while unattended and 2) I just like to be able to start the bike without having to pull the enrichener every time....even if I do have to keep it at a dull roar until she warms up.
Q. Modified by BUBBIE to fit answer

You are OKAY by doing it your way,,,,,,

Probably your method is Using Less fuel than using the enricher.. That by far is what is important... If it Fires right off and you keep it running UNTIL it smoooooooths out for a safe ride OFF the Start, GOOD for you...

The best way to start a bike IS DO What fits your bike and you the best...

Most of US find the way the bike starts BEST... Using "That Method" is a given.

signed....BUBBIE

Thanks Bubbie, I just like to consider it her personality, and if you have ever seen the movie Pulp Fiction, you know 'personality goes a long way'. :D

Ahhh Pulp Fiction and HD Bikes...gotta love this website...LOL!! I agree, you will find the routine that works for you. I found if I pull away with enrichener/choke part way on, too briskly, the bike "staggers" a bit (likely too rich), and may die if I stop quickly (idle low/float-needle pinches shut?). If I have knob all the way in, and modulate throttle/brake I have no issues...so yes you find the best way through experience.:s

Another problem with the choke-enrichener is the adjustment. It works off friction, but you must use caution when adjusting it the plastic will snap off quite easy, so just a bit of friction and good to go, I never much used it on my carbed bikes a few twists of the throttle and keep her running:s

Back