free website stats program Is a Dyna a bad "first bike"? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Is a Dyna a bad "first bike"?

Two schools of thought'
1) Buy a small beater, Ride it for a few months.
2) Buy the Dyna, Ride it carefully till you get the hang of it,
And save a lot of money, Because you'll save the cost of the beater, But also as with most beaters you'll be dumping money in it to keep it running.
So which ever way you go have fun and ride safe.:bigsmiley23:

If I had only 2 days riding experience on a 300 lb motorcycle, I would not buy a 700 lb Dyna on my 3rd day. I would rent one, tow it to a quiet (low traffic) safe place and ride it carefully. Then decide.

I went from 5 years on a 400 lb Sportster to a Fat Bob and I had to go back to my practice riding place for a while. Get crash guards. Good Luck!

:bigsmiley12:

I had never ridden any kind of motorcycle before I attended the riding course at the HD dealership. We used the Buel blast in class. After doing the paperwork for my endorsement at the DMV I jumped right on my '98 Dyna wide glide with the head/cam/intake/exhaust upgrades from the previous owner. Have put over 10K miles on the bike in the last two years without incident. I say be careful, ride within your limits and have a great time. No bike is any safer than the rider IMO. Buy what you want and ride it.....carefully. :s

It could be, but would you want to "learn" on your dream bike...that's the question of the day...?? With your experience, I'd say hold-off on the Dyna for now and get a decent/cheap "learner" bike because it's not a matter of if you'll tip-over...it's a matter of when & how many times. Not wishing anyone to go over on a bike, but ride long enough & it's going to happen. Food for thought...JMO.

Yeah...its not when or how,,,,sure buy a cheap bike and not drop it for years then geta Harley and drop it the first day...
Get the Harley NOW!!!

If I had only 2 days riding experience on a 300 lb motorcycle, I would not buy a 700 lb Dyna on my 3rd day. I would rent one, tow it to a quiet (low traffic) safe place and ride it carefully. Then decide.

I went from 5 years on a 400 lb Sportster to a Fat Bob and I had to go back to my practice riding place for a while. Get crash guards. Good Luck!

:bigsmiley12:

400 pound sporty???? Dude...go weigh one.

A 1200 sporty with a sundowner seat and a windshield that is properly setup for you can be a good bike.
I know lots of people who wished they had NOT got rid of their sporty.

Besides a 1200 sporty can outrun ANY STOCK HARLEY except a VROD or XR1200...

Truth be told a 96" Dyna is more stable than an XL1200C. but slower.

The backstory to this thread ended w/ an answer of a definitive NO, a dyna is not a bad idea for a 1st bike, & I wound up getting the Fat Bob I really wanted in the 1st place.

Take a test ride on several models, see which one fits best and gets you excited, then go for it..just be careful!

I know the OP already purchased their Dyna and as most experienced riders have witnessed, several new riders can and do end up on something that can be totally unsuitable to start out with.

I come from the school of thought, if you learn on a smaller lighter machine, it's a lot more forgiving. I'd rather see a rider develop skills that can exceed the capability of the bike they ride instead of "growing" into the bike they desire.

I've known a lot of riders can and have purchased big touring machines and went on to ride safely and without incident for years.

If you keep to the two lane black tops (which IMO is much more enjoyable than an interstate), a smaller bike can be a whole lot of fun. And if you forget to put down the side stand at the local hang out because your grinning so much, the only thing you bruise is your ego and not your pocket book as much.

The Dyna is a great machine. But, it's a heavy machine that is easy to drop in a slow speed parking lot and if it falls on your foot or leg, can put you out of commission for awhile and put a damper on your future riding impressions.

So to any new riders looking to start out on their ideal bike right out of the gate, just keep in mind a lot of seasoned riders had humble beginnings on older machines that had between 350 ccs to 650 ccs.

This isn't to say all new riders should or must start out on something smaller or less desirable just to gain some experience. But, I can tell those new riders that do start out on older, lighter, smaller machine, they will generally be respected by experienced riders.

I've never looked down on a new rider that started out this way. But I have shaken my head at new riders that pull up with a high performance rocket or bigger cruiser and see them struggle with it.

Just food for thought..........

The answer is NO! There are not bad Dyna's. But there are some bad Dyna Riders. Just don't be a bad Dyna Rider.

Back