free website stats program Is 58 too old to get in to biking? | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Is 58 too old to get in to biking?

I have replied to this thread in an earlier post. But, I think the answer lies in you, and only you. I know a lot of "old" 58 year olds who should definitely not be riding a motorcycle. Then, again, there are a lot of individuals that age and much older in great shape, and they can go on riding for years. I am 61 and in better shape than a lot of the younger guys I ride with.
If you spend a lot of time hacking and coughing and huffing and puffing, then an electric golf cart may be more the order of the day. Just the fact that you ask the question, to me means you have your doubts.

Not at all.
My Dad still rides (Gold Wing) and he is 73.
He absolutely loves it when I get a chance to visit and we both can go for a ride together.

As long as you feel you are in reasonable shape to control the bike go for it....58...heck that still leaves tons of riding years...if it's been awhile though you may want to take a refresher riding course....Good luck and ride safe....

I'm with everyone else - it's obvious you're thinking about it and that's where your heart is so do it. But be smart also. Only you know if you have any limitations such as vision or motor skills/reflexes that would affect your riding. If you can honestly give yourself the green light, I highly recommend taking a Motorcycle Safety Foundation course - well worth the money. You also might want to consider starting out with a used bike just in case of an "incident" so you don't get suicidal over dropping a $20,000 machine!

Good Luck!!

Go for it man. But I agree with the others who suggested you take an approved safety course to get yourself up to speed. I may save your life. Classes teach more than just how to ride, but to be aware of other people on the road that might not see you while you're toolin' around on your new scooter.

Hello Ozoneman. I'm 66 and don't plan on hangin up my helmet as long as I can still operate the brake lever on my walker. But unlike you, I started 52 years ago when there were a whole lot less cages out there trying to kill me.. Its a fact that as we age our reflexes slow down while everything around us seems to be speeding up. Like Clint Eastwood said, "a mans got to know his limitations." and that's where the answer to your question lies. Only you know what you can handle. Has been a lot of good advice given here, the best of which is do the safety course thing. Start out riding where there is little traffic. Pratice handling the bike and try some panic stops (not slides but sudden controlled stops.) If you feel you can handle it bro, then get out there and bust some bugs. Theres no better feeling.
Mac

Wow you guys are making me feel old, I,m 66 going on 67 and have no plans on hanging it up, even thinking of a new skoot. I started working again last year long haul trucking, couldn,t stay away. People think I,m in my second childhood, hell I havn,t left the first. Ride on and live.

51 and just bought my first bike since 1976. Taking "riders edge" course end of March. I have the feeling that this new endeavor may help keep me young. Thanks for voicing your concern. Enjoy.

Back