free website stats program Identity Theft | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Identity Theft

I did what 09RGlideKY did as well. You can put a fraud alert on your credit file, and if anyone, including yourself, tries to open up a new line of credit, or do anything that requires a credit check, the business running the check see's that your account is flagged with a fraud alert warning, and they have to call you and speak to you directly, and verify that you are indeed who you say you are, are aware a new line of credit is attempted to be opened, and get your approval. Not too much a hassle if your main contact number that a creditor has on file to reach you, is your cell phone#. If they can't reach you and speak with you directly, then technically the request will be denied.

If you are an actual victim of identity theft, then the fraud alert remains in effect for 7 years. If you are not an actual victim, they're only good for 90 days. The retailers I'm sure pushed for the 90 day limit, as it's a hassle to them and potential loss of a sale by having to call you, verify, etc. They risk losing that potential on the spot sale and new line of credit. I get around that by doing it at the start of every quarter. Helps me remember when it's due.

You can do this online

[URL="http://exit.hdtimeline.com/postid335866"]Request an Initial 90 Day Fraud Alert or Active Duty Alert
[/URL]

I did what 09RGlideKY did as well. You can put a fraud alert on your credit file, and if anyone, including yourself, tries to open up a new line of credit, or do anything that requires a credit check, the business running the check see's that your account is flagged with a fraud alert warning, and they have to call you and speak to you directly, and verify that you are indeed who you say you are, are aware a new line of credit is attempted to be opened, and get your approval. Not too much a hassle if your main contact number that a creditor has on file to reach you, is your cell phone#. If they can't reach you and speak with you directly, then technically the request will be denied.

If you are an actual vicitm of identity theft, then the fraud alert remains in effect for 7 years. If you are not an actual victim, they're only good for 90 days. The retailers I'm sure pushed for the 90 day limit, as it's a hassle to them and potential loss of a sale by having to call you, verify, etc. They may lose that potential new line of credit. I get around that by doing it at the start of every quarter. Helps me remember when it's due.

You can do this online

Request an Initial 90 Day Fraud Alert or Active Duty Alert

Already done, next I am thinking about pictures on the cards like on a drivers license, Wells Fargo is merging with Wacovia very helpful people in the fraud dept.

Good deal. It's the wild wild west out there in the ethers of the internet. I've had a fraud alert on my acct for a few years now. Got a pit pass for the Indy 500 time trials years back and had to give them my license to get the pass. I forgot to ask for it back when I gave the pass back to them, and they forgot to give it back to me. 3 days later I'm in the bank and need to show my license, and I have no license. I contacted the hosting company, they couldn't find it. Had my social sec #, dl#, etc on it. So went with the alert.

It's free and the best thing you can do without having to shell out any money for a monitoring service. So far so good.

Good deal. It's the wild wild west out there in the ethers of the internet. I've had a fraud alert on my acct for a few years now. Got a pit pass for the Indy 500 time trials years back and had to give them my license to get the pass. I forgot to ask for it back when I gave the pass back to them, and they forgot to give it back to me. 3 days later I'm in the bank and need to show my license, and I have no license. I contacted the hosting company, they couldn't find it. Had my social sec #, dl#, etc on it. So went with the alert.

It's free and the best thing you can do without having to shell out any money for a monitoring service. So far so good.

Ouch that could have hurt bad

Jack,
I feel your pain. I had it happen to me last year. Somehow someone got one of my credit card info and made an online purchase and an in store purchase. Fortunately, the card company was on their toes and caught it on the second transaction. I received a phone call and told them that "no, I'm in NJ now and my credit card is with me. Not in a DIY store in Michigan." They credited both transactions back to my account, and reissued a new card to me.

A little tip. I have a low credit line card that is only used for online purchases. So, if someone does get the account
info, they'll only be able to use it for $500 max.

As a rule of thumb for me after having my ebay acct hacked years ago,...DON'T EVER answer any email that asks for password or account verification. I get emails from paypal & ebay asking for stuff or sending me a message. I immediately delete the email & the go directly to that respective website(not by clicking the link provided in the email,but typing the web address ),logging in there & checking to see if the message is there.It's usually not...that's how I check to see if it's fake. Hope you get it straightened out soon.

An update, I have just got confirmation of the fraud lock on all my credit reports, I am feeling a bit safer now, if I could only get some one to take the Redhead off my hands LOL Thank you all for the replies, cant be too careful any more, Capital Jack:s

good news Jack...but no on the Redhead unless you want a little out spoken Venezuelan with 9 sisters!

good news Jack...but no on the Redhead unless you want a little out spoken Venezuelan with 9 sisters!

:laugh

One of these days I'm going to try that marriage thing. One of these days. Maybe when I'm 80. :small3d026:

LOL, I make a lot of noise about the Redhead but we are coming up 0n 32 years and if she will put up with me well I guess I will keep her. This is my second marriage, first one lasted 2 years, I am lucky, We renewed our vows in 2001 and have been having a great life, capital Jack

Back