free website stats program I think waving is overrated | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

I think waving is overrated

when we are going in the same direction and they pass me , i pass them or cruising at the same speed in different lanes..hand wave, low 2, finger lift, or nod smile depending on traffic.(I'm ALWAYS Smiling when ridin) when going in the opposite direction i try to acknowledge if safe...just the way mama raised me....bigsmiley8:

I think you meet a lot of nice people on bikes, especially at lights with a chance to chat. I have to agree with the comment that I feel bad if I don't wave back, but sometimes my hands are busy. I have definitely surprised some crotch rockets with my wave, but I like the surprised smile and quick nod.

As for cages, I also wave or give a thumbs up to classic cars. They are running old iron and that can't be beat. I have waved at bikes from my classic car and have never gotten a wave back.

My wife tells me to stop talking to strangers, too.

I wave to every bike that passes me. Truth be told, I rarely look to see if they waved back. I find that the majority of riders do wave....

I wave to everyone. I've found that nearly every Harley rider I pass waves back, but not so much with the metric bikes.

I wave at all two-wheelers as long as it can be done safely, even the boozecycles. Sometimes it surprises them as well as the metrics who sometimes don't wave back. Probably wouldn't do it in a crowded situation though. I like to think of it as a brotherhood and we need to stick together. To each his own.
Ishmael

You know I don't know if waving is overrated or not, but in 4 days this thread has close to 1200 views. I'd say there is a lot of interest in waving (or not waving).

You know I don't know if waving is overrated or not, but in 4 days this thread has close to 1200 views. I'd say there is a lot of interest in waving (or not waving).
I think we are interested in it because it is something that we are confronted with on each encounter with a passing bike. For me, it's a "feel good" thing when I wave and get a wave back. If I don't get the wave back, no big deal, the next guy usually acknowledges my existence. :cheers

I do wave as said earlier, but at this point I want to elaborate just a bit, I had 3 bikes in my earlier years. We used to wave even back then but there weren't that many bikers then as now (60's & 70's). But then I got married at 30 yrs old had bills etc. Even went through a period where I just thought bikes were too unsafe.

Well anyhow at 60 yrs old (after restructuring my thoughts, dreaming for a few years and then finally looking for a bike in good shape to fit our budget) I ended up the 4th bike of my life and my first Harley.

So I actually enjoy waving in a whole new aspect. To me it means more than just fellowship with a fellow cageless member of society. It means 'Hey I'm back in the saddle after many years and loving every minute of it'. I'm a biker again, finally.

I also wave to everyone, especially guys who wave first. Once in a while I have my hand on the clutch, but I nod. I even initiate a "two low" wave to scooters. It costs nothing.

What I fear in some of us is the idea that since it's a Harley we should act proud or tough or sadly both. I'm a patch holder, I got that stuff done decades ago.

I am concerned about the simple stuff. For example, I stop for bikers along the side of the road. If only to lend them a cell phone. Even for a crotch rocket. I'd want them to stop for me.

If we start building a "wave is beneath me" standard then sooner or later it will be our turn. A wave is cheap. Your biceps and your rep are still intact, but your clutch cable might be fraying...

I also wave to everyone, especially guys who wave first. Once in a while I have my hand on the clutch, but I nod. I even initiate a "two low" wave to scooters. It costs nothing.

What I fear in some of us is the idea that since it's a Harley we should act proud or tough or sadly both. I'm a patch holder, I got that stuff done decades ago.

I am concerned about the simple stuff. For example, I stop for bikers along the side of the road. If only to lend them a cell phone. Even for a crotch rocket. I'd want them to stop for me.

If we start building a "wave is beneath me" standard then sooner or later it will be our turn. A wave is cheap. Your biceps and your rep are still intact, but your clutch cable might be fraying...
Well said! :s

Back