free website stats program I think waving is overrated | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

I think waving is overrated

I do the two fingers straight down,not really a wave,just an acknowledgement of the brotherhood.

I ride with a pretty sociable bunch, we all acknowledge other riders or strike up a conversation in rest areas with who ever is there, bikers or not. Have met some cool people this way, welcome to Canada man.

On large events I find the best thing that works for me is one of my old scutcheon cup hand waving gizmo's you use to see in car windows....I stick it to the headlight of my fatboy..........:Banane19:

I wave to everybody. I acknowledge our sharing of the riding experience. Most folks wave back. I take no offense if they don't wave back. I'm not keeping score. Last week I waved to some old guy, a veteran perhaps, whose electric scooter had American flags attached to it. He smiled a broad smile and waved back. It was a feel good thing for both of us I think. That's all that matters. :s

I wave MOST of the time. When way too many bikers, maybe not so much. That's all OK tho. Wave back -- dont wave back -- really makes me no diff. BUT, if I wave and the other dont - OK - but If I am waved at and I dont - sorta makes me feel a wee bit bad. Perhaps our waving at another biker is for their benefit, not ours. In the end - just be friendly. Some times I just raise my fingers off the grips right where they are. It doesnt take much.

Bill

It would take more guts to ride around on one of the electric scooters!:lolrolling

I guess that would be true, I haven't had the pleasure yet of that visual. I know the mopeds and some of the smaller models of the Labretta scooters are pretty small looking. Their exhausts are barely bigger around than my finger and my kitchen blender makes more noise.

When I pull up beside one of them at a stop light with my 96ci and V&H's broadcasting Harley all over the place. The poor folks kinda act like they want to just melt into the asphalt or become invisible. So I just wave and say hi to um. We are all humans on 2 wheels give or take a few hundred cubic inches.

RBW...Them poor folks on mopeds might have more money than we do because thay don't have a Harley..:)

That is very true Mat, although I was referring to 'poor' in the context of the riding experience, not the bank account.

But like Masher and Steve said, folks who are in something besides a cage tend to wave back at other 'cageless' ones. It's just kind of an 'out the cage thing'.

Oops meant to type a few hundred cc's not ci

Last edited by a moderator:
when in the States i wave to everyone, but when i get back on the Island the only waving is between friends. not may of us down here with a bike over 500cc. so the wave is not used down here at all other than friends.

Seems to me that as some vehicle becomes more "mainstream" the operators are less likely to wave. I noticed this phenomenon when I got my RX7 in 1979, other owners waved but by the time I sold it the waving was limited to a few long time owners and the new model owners almost never waved. I've also noticed this with the Road Glide riders, when I first got mine it was like a secret society. Now that they have been discovered I seldom get waves, Oh well, that's the price for popularity.

When I started riding in the 60s almost everyone waved and this lasted until the 80s when the boom years began. At first it seemed new riders seemed confused by this waving but as the years passed it seemed it was just a new type of rider, not someone who felt a connection to the motorcycle community.

Having said that, like most I don't wave at big rallys because I would spend the entire week with my hand in the air. I do like the idea of attaching a plastic wavey hand and may try that next year. :bigsmiley24:

Back