free website stats program How Much Popping Is Too Much? | Harley Davidson Forums

How Much Popping Is Too Much?

Steve Di.

I just switched from stock exhaust to Screamin' Eagle II slip-ons. The bike is a fuel injected Heritage with a high-flow air cleaner. After the exhaust change, I noticed intermittent popping when decelerating and occasionally when rolling back the throttle between gears.

I don't have a Power Commander and am wondering if I will need to buy a stock air box to enrich the fuel mixture.

I welcome any feed back from anyone who has been through this before.

Thanks Caper & Glider. The popping isn't too pronounced, but is noticable. It doesn't appear as though I will do any damage running the bike until I buy the TFI device. It looks fairly easy to install and is not as complicated as a fuel management system. The price is much more reasonable than the other systems.

Another question came to mind. The cost of the TFI device is $245. Is remapping the factory EFI system possible? If so, any idea of the time and cost involved in doing that?

I am looking to save some money if possible. I know that it doesn't take long for a dealer to reach and exceed the $250 mark when working on a bike.

Remapping your ECM is possible and usually runs about $150 and can be done in about 15 minutes. Some dealers get more.
Problem is all that does is return your ECM to the factory lean condition where the TFI will be adjustable and worth the difference IMO.

That is not good. It is a lean fuel mixture that I am trying to correct. It seems that the TFI is the way to go.

BTW, the Screamin' Eagles sound great!

Another question came to mind. The cost of the TFI device is $245. Is remapping the factory EFI system possible? If so, any idea of the time and cost involved in doing that?

I am looking to save some money if possible. I know that it doesn't take long for a dealer to reach and exceed the $250 mark when working on a bike.

As those guys said above. And don't forget to mention that you are a member here at HDTimeline when you order your unit. George will give you $10off the price and include S&H!! He is also very approachable and if you give him your configuration, he will suggest a starting point for the settings on your pots.

TQ

Back