free website stats program How Fast? | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

How Fast?

I usually drive at or no more than 5 over the speed limit. I got tired of paving roads through fines a long time ago. I did however just last saturday, (after checking out my no longer existing wobble) take my bike down the interstate and decide to open it up for the first time. It was clear, very little traffic and I brought my 09 Ultra up just to where the speedo showed passing 105MPH. I was impressed how EZ it got there and even more so that the handling was no issue. I did not hold it at all, just coasted back to 75. All I can say is that after hitting 90MPH on my 05 Deluxe, it was not a good feeling. Anyway I do not know how fast it will go or how accurate the speedo is, but I was impressed.

If you get the urge track test it . There are tracks all over Canada and the U.S where you can purchase track time. It's a lot of fun and not very expensive because they sell it in blocks.:D

Doc your right about keeping it on the track,but do you know the euphoria of going 150-200mph it is something that can;t be described!
I'm lucky because I was able to get my thrills in Naval Air. Being flight crew on P-3's and low level ASW ops, mining and other stuff ruined me. A P-3 is sloooow compared to just about any other military aircraft, but it did have its moments. I'm past 60 now, so better judgment has gotten the upper hand.
Don't get me wrong, I think speed is real fun and I did my share of road racing (with bikes and cars) way, way back when. I see stupid stuff from bikes on the road and say, self - you knew it was fun and dumb way back and now with the perspective of age - it's just dumb. I don't have a good answer of why when young, we do the dumb stuff we do. Then again, I can think of a few who didn't grow from their experiences. That, I think, is another topic. My euphoria comes from taking my time and enjoying the sights as well as the ride. Plus, I've got too many scars on my body and in case something happens, I want to heal as quickly as possible.

Doc your right about keeping it on the track,but do you know the euphoria of going 150-200mph it is something that can;t be described!

sometimes it can be -------- S P L A T --- after someone pulls out in front of ya!!!

I normally keep 55- 65 on the main roads on the interstate 70 -75 a good speed ...
...If I want to go faster and quicker I have the Hayabusa which I had up to 180 and done 25 mile runs at 160 things are a blur at that speed .
yes that bike really does what they say it does .
The Harley is the ride for me 90% time though

Ah, Steak and Sushi...my favorite combo for touring solo or two-up and that twisted "spirited ride at 8/10th' pace!" :D LOL!

I usually keep near the speed limit as far as safety permits though I have to admit to very occasionally reaching 100+ on an empty road just to get a little buzz.
Its one of the best thing about HDs, you don't have to go fast to enjoy the ride.
As I read somewhere on this forum: Bike riders are going where they want to go as quickly as possible; HD riders are where they want to be.

Our normal travel speed for longer distances is 90 - 100 mph and we are most a group of 4. Sometimes we ride a little faster because on most parts of the Autobahn we don't have a speed limit.... :D

Fastest I've ever ridden with my old Street Bob was about 115-120 mph.
Haven't had the chance yet to ride with the Silver Bullet on the Autobahn.

On the rare moments I interstate ride I'm usually around the speed limit. 80 tops. Two lanes I'm pretty much 60-65.

I'm not a speed demon. I gave that up after wiping out at around 110.

As the saying goes...(as well as the coffee cup in front of me)...

"Its not the destination, its the journey".

I like to stop and smell the roses. Altho my brother is a 90+ rider. :s

It's funny, I always rode aggressively on my FXRS, which I've had over 20 years. I rode fast, I lane split even when I didn't need to, I was always in a hurry (fastest was ~110 out in the Nevada desert).

Then I got a RG last year, and my whole attitude changed with that Geezer Glide. Now I sit back and cruise. No worries, no problems. The newer bike certainly goes as fast as the old one, but there's just something about the bagger that is calming and relaxing. I'm just not in a hurry anymore. Is that called "gettin' old"?

Back