free website stats program How Fast? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

How Fast?

I do not define hard ride as fast for me it is more of the push.
By that I mean on the right road 40 can be fast were on another road 100 maybe no big deal.
Hard ride for me is how active you have to be in controling and making the bike do what you want, How many shifts up and down in a short time the sparks from boards.
If your arms get tired of hold the line thats a hard ride no madder haow fast of slow it may be.
If you have to change you pants when you get back thats a hard ride.
Anyone can go fast.

Well said Smitty and your right Skyline drive and the Blueridge Parkway in a day and a half was one of the hardest rides I have ever done. Should have left at least three days to enjoy it properly and not tire out considering we were two up and loaded with gear for a ten day trip.

Back in the early 70's when I was young and dumb, we would max out our bikes on the highway late at night. On one ride, my buddy had a blow out on his Sportster doing about 120. It wasn't a pretty site. Anytime I think about going 30 to 40 over the limit, I stop, think for a minute, and wonder what would happen if I had a blow out. I bought a Harley for the ride, prestige, and the "Potato, potato, potato. I respect the law and respect the road. I want to live to ride another day. Also, a speeding ticket here in Michigan (depending how much over the limit) will run you around 150 to 200 bucks for 10 over. 15 over is reckless driving. Also, your insurance goes up and stays up for a couple years. I haven't had a ticket in 20 years (knock on wood). Doesn't mean I won't. But it won't be a reckless driving ticket. Also, just got done reading a post about avoiding objects in the road. I got a good feeling trying to avoid a 2x4 doing 120 won't happen. Anything you learned at MSF, is out the window going that fast. Use your head and ride safe. Glider wants to increase our forum participation, not decrease it.

I generally just keep with the flow of traffic. Don't really need to go much faster, as the flow is usually between 5-10 mph over the limit anyway.
Lots of times I run less. I'm much more into relaxation and enjoying the ride than I am into getting somewhere in a hurry.
Burning the high speed miles is hard on the equipment and the body.

I like to crank it up over 100 now and again usually by myself without traffic. Normal cruising around 80:s

Hey Dogdad, rice burning rocket types do not all need to go 70-75+, it is the handling in a controlled environ that makes "spirited riding" fun. I ride only at an 8/10 pace max. when on my Katana...:newsmile058:

Granted my HD is quite happy on the freeway at 70-75+ but knowing I have loved ones at home...65 is right, riding leisurly at more like 6/10 pace, with torque at the ready, as being more important.:bigsmiley24:

You correct on the handling deal... Back in the "day" I rode very fast, in very "wrong" places. I was a hooligan. So 130+ in a suburban setting was the norm.. Of course I was younger and stupid.. My buddy and I used to test our race bikes on public roads... We'd make modifications and then run 'em in public with a plate from a street legal bike...

Riding hard on a harley, to me, is cornering. Pushing any of my harleys toward to edge of the handling envelope. I may only be doing 25 mph. But I'm doing it in a hairpin, dragging hardparts.

Going fast in a highway setting is easy. Motivating any bike in the twisties is riding hard.

As for track days... Oh yea..:D Bring it on! This is place to ride hard AND fast. See... I got this little Ducati... It's a small light weight bike... I'd love to show you what it can do... :bigsmiley11:

Or let's go for a relaxed cruise... I'll ride my other harley.. My MV Agusta.. I can both cruise and ride hard with that one... :)

Unless I'm on the track, I'm speed limit +5 kinda guy. No matter what I'm riding...

I like to take it nice and easy while riding. I take in the scenery and just enjoy the ride. I've been known to open the throttle a few times, but i've seen the aftermath of bike wrecks and the impact it has on families! One of the hardest duties of my job is to inform a mother, father or wife that their loved one was killed in an accident! I can see them age right in front of me! Not a pretty sight!!!

low and slow thats why i bought a harley. been up to 120, 130 very uncomfortable. at that speed by the time you see a road hazard your on top of it. theres enough ways to get hurt out there without adding my own stupity into the mix. that doesnt mean i dont punch it once in awhile

100 mph on a HD touring bike on a good road is like riding in a school zone you do not even notice it after a few minutes.

I'll stick to our posted "20 mph" in a school zone here ,lol. I just don't have that "need for speed" thing. I think the people that pass me up on the interstate doing 85-95 in their cage when I'm in my cage..I shake my head at them and wonder why they're in such a hurry. I'm one of those that think life is to short,,slow down and enjoy it. jmo

On what I call the "open" road I'm pretty conservative (speed limit plus 5). But...Give me some good twisties and my evil twin seems to appear.

Overall I still believe the old saying, "Gray-haired riders don’t get that way from pure luck".

Back