free website stats program How Do I Install Those Front Brake Pads | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

How Do I Install Those Front Brake Pads

Schooner glad to se you got it handled, Big thumbs up for trying and learning how to repair your own Bike.

Auto parts stores sell a little gizmo just for pushing pistons back into the caliper. They are inexpensive and easier to manipulate than a c-clamp.

Sure can use that gizmo . . . Now !

Hey My Good Man;FLST

I sure could use the proper name of that gizmo; due to the fact i'm getting ready to install the left front brake pad.

Do you have any idea what its called ?

Sure would appreciate it.
Working with one hand and taking pictures with the other and that BIG OLD "C" CLAMP all in the mix of it :sd

Hope you can help me out.

Auto parts stores sell a little gizmo just for pushing pistons back into the caliper. They are inexpensive and easier to manipulate than a c-clamp.

It's called a disc brake piston compressor.
They come in all different price ranges but this one works well and can be had for under $10

Discbrakecompresser.jpg

Hey glider :)

First of all - THANKS for putting in a good word for me about that WARNING.
I appreciate you helping this ol' man :small3d028:

Now about the great info you posted for me on that: piston compression.
I certainly look into buying it from: Pepboys/Autozone.

Looking at the picture I really don't see how I could use it but if you say I can get my other dual brake piston down; then I'll buy it.

As you can see my LARGE 'C' Clamp its pretty rough trying to take picture(s)
and holding my camera to show you guys just how I got the first piston down.

Hopefully with this tool it will be MUCH EASIER :)

Can you explain if you can only; how do I use this tool ?

THANKS AGAIN my good man :)

It's called a disc brake piston compressor.
They come in all different price ranges but this one works well and can be had for under $10

Discbrakecompresser.jpg

Attachments

• PISTON WOOD & C CLAMP.jpg
    PISTON WOOD & C CLAMP.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 101
As you have alredy managed to do 1 of the brakes with a c clamp you have the tools you know how to do the job if it were me i would save the money and use what i know works for me

Brian

Can you explain if you can only; how do I use this tool ?

THANKS AGAIN my good man :)

That tool will not work on every type of caliper unless the fixed side is open. Yours looks as if the fixed side is closed over so there are other choices as well that don't have the open section to fit the threaded part of the tool through. There are others that can be used in it's place if you check out the local parts place and take a look at the design. I seriously doubt that the one I pictured will work for your application. It is possible that the knob of that tool will fit through the opening in the fixed side of your caliper.

although I have never done MC brakes, I have done many of auto/truck brake pads and ONLY used a c-clamp to push piston back in enough to install new pads. Secret is to apply pressure gently and do not try to push it in all the way fast -- go slow - about 1/2 turn on the c-clamp then wait for fluid to return to cyclinder, then another 1/2 turn - it SHOULD go back in this way, and no bleeding etc.

Bill

I Just Might Take You Suggestion

Hey 676 :)

You have a very valid point there. I know what works why don't i keep it SIMPLY, and save the sweat :sd

Thanks guys will do.

As you have alredy managed to do 1 of the brakes with a c clamp you have the tools you know how to do the job if it were me i would save the money and use what i know works for me

Brian

Back