free website stats program How Do I Install Those Front Brake Pads | Harley Davidson Forums

How Do I Install Those Front Brake Pads

schooner

Hi Guys (Newbie Still Here) :)

Having a problem install my dual brake pads on my '85 Harley. Got the manual and STILL CAN'T FIGURE IT OUT :sd

As you can see from the 4 attachments the PISTON IS TOO HIGH and I can't get that to go down so I can install the upper brake pad=HELP !

Can any you guys out there help an ol' man out please.

Step by step if you will & I'll follow your instructions. :small3d028:

Attachments

• #1 BRAKE PISTON TOO HIGH.jpg
    #1 BRAKE PISTON TOO HIGH.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 51
  • #2 PISTON TOO HIGH.jpg
    #2 PISTON TOO HIGH.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 46
  • #3 UNABLE TO FIT BRAKE PAD IN CALIPER.jpg
    #3 UNABLE TO FIT BRAKE PAD IN CALIPER.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 41
  • #4 HOW TO BRING PISTON DOWN.jpg
    #4 HOW TO BRING PISTON DOWN.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 38
Last edited by a moderator:
Open the bleeder screw use a c clamp or big chanle lock pliers and squeeze piston in when the piston bottoms close bleeder screw.

Should be easy if you do it the way discribed above. Might want to clean them off first before putting them back on the bike.

Hey bc45 :)

Bear with me please.
When you say, " Open the bleeder screw use a c clamp or big chanle lock pliers "

That bleeder screw is the one the brake fluid hose is hook-up too YES/NO ?

If its YES then brake fluid will leak out. And I believe AIR will get in the system and then that's another BIG DEAL for me.

Is the idea that I un-screw the bleeder screw (that's the one with the funny looking head right ?)

Do I squeeze the pistone down with me hand right? and then put the brake pad in place. YES/NO ?

Will I have to put more brake fluid in the brake reservoir (DOT 5) for my bike that I do know.

I wait your step-by-step instructions

Open the bleeder screw use a c clamp or big chanle lock pliers and squeeze piston in when the piston bottoms close bleeder screw.

can you remove the lid off of the master cylinder and then squeeze slowly the piston back in? the back pressure wil leave through the master cylinder...how we do our cars. I don't know if this would work but don't see why not.

Bear with me please.
When you say, " Open the bleeder screw use a c clamp or big chanle lock pliers "

If its YES then brake fluid will leak out. And I believe AIR will get in the system and then that's another BIG DEAL for me.

Is the idea that I un-screw the bleeder screw (that's the one with the funny looking head right ?)

Do I squeeze the pistone down with me hand right? and then put the brake pad in place. YES/NO ?

Will I have to put more brake fluid in the brake reservoir (DOT 5) for my bike that I do know.

when You are squeezing piston in fliud will come out no air will go in because of the pressure of fluid comming out. Do have bleeder faceing up, When piston stopps shut bleeder and you should not get air into system.

Unless you have topped off the brake fluid in the resevoir the C-clamp should push the piston back. I have used wide/large screwdriver and pried between the pad and the rotor (forcing the piston back into the caliper before removing the old pads)

Bear with me please.

Sorry hit submit before I was done, You dont have to take bleeder all the way out just lossen it enough so fluid will flow out.
Yes after you replace pads you will have to add fluid after you change pads and pump the piston back out.

Back