free website stats program Horrible 1st ride | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Horrible 1st ride

That stinks. Hope you can get if fixed to your liking.

A plus for saddlebag guards.

I just purchased four pin for my bike from the dealer. I think they were 8 dollars a piece. Not sure about the hardware store idea, the stock pins pull the bags tight.

PLEASE, don't take this the wrong way, but that was not a Horrible 1st ride. A Horrible 1st ride was if you or your wife were injured or worst. The bike can be fixed. No one likes their bike more than I do, but it's a machine, a thing that can repaired as good, or better than before. I'm Thankful that you or your wife were not hurt. Look at this as a learning experience and an opportunity to get some better bags, maybe some you like more. I'm writing this as a friend, not some indifferent bafoon...

I recall reading a post where someone replaced the standard HD "slot & twist" pins w/ones from a hardware store. The replacement(s) had actual pins w/keys & I saved the pics to re-create w/my bike. Plan to do this soon & stories like this are the driving factor. This would be more secure than stock.

Harry & Ice have you covered Sgt...the hardware is indeed repairable, road rash on a replaceable part while bad is not horrible or unrecoverable.

Yes several riders have complained about the OEM quick detach fasteners that come stock on their HD's as being rather "weak", so the fix with more rugged retention system is a very good idea for prevention of a "repeat" performance. :small3d029:

PLEASE, don't take this the wrong way, but that was not a Horrible 1st ride. A Horrible 1st ride was if you or your wife were injured or worst. The bike can be fixed. No one likes their bike more than I do, but it's a machine, a thing that can repaired as good, or better than before. I'm Thankful that you or your wife were not hurt. Look at this as a learning experience and an opportunity to get some better bags, maybe some you like more. I'm writing this as a friend, not some indifferent bafoon...

HarryB737.... Did you not read the part where he said it was his WIFE'S bike??? That alone makes it fit the category of HORRIBLE. I can just imagine if I had done that to MY wife's bike. I shudder to think:( There might be an injury at the least.:D

That is exactly why it was a horrible 1st ride-my wife is in Pennsylvania visting a friend and I got her bike out to surprise her and have it ready to ride when she gets back next week. I did call my insurance co(progressive) and a rep will be out on Weds to take pictures and either replace or repair the bag. Appreciate all the good words from everyone. I think the heavier pins are a great idea. My dad helped me put the new shocks on the bike and we both checked the pins and thought the bag was on securely. I live in central Wi about 45 minutes east of Eau Claire. According to the adjuster there is a body shop in Chippewa Falls that does guaranteed work on HD products, so it may be possible to fix. With the case of road rash, damaged hinges, gouged chrome locks, I hope they just replace it. I most certainly learned something from this ride and I have been riding for about 35 years now. Wife is pretty pissed at me about it, but I told her it could have happened had she been the first one to ride it instead of me.

Sorry to see this happen. I got rid of those cheap fatsteners on all my Baggers. I slid tinnerman nuts in and used grade 8 bolts with rubber and flat washers to make them solid mounts, it also slows some one down from stealing your bags if you forget to lock them, Jack

I'll have to go with sgt1230 here ,that is a pretty horrible first ride. I've read a couple other posts about bags falling off so I now check my pins every time I take the bags off and have had to replace one because the ears on the pin were a bout to break. Sorry to here about your misfortune, good luck with the replacement.:small3d029:
What a beautiful thing! My quick disconnect bags have fall'n off both side or been dragged to many times. I'm headed to the hardware store right now to replace those fine quick disconnect factory clips with the one's shown... What a great fix!!! Thanks Man!

I recall reading a post where someone replaced the standard HD "slot & twist" pins w/ones from a hardware store. The replacement(s) had actual pins w/keys & I saved the pics to re-create w/my bike. Plan to do this soon & stories like this are the driving factor. This would be more secure than stock.
What a great fix. My bags have been like the Dog on Family vacation! Thanks!

Sorry to hear about the bag, I know that none of us likes having something go wrong with the our bikes and it's worse if we think we may have caused it. But like everyone says it's only parts and can be replaced. Iceman's fix is something I'm going to do, I've never really trusted thoes wires. Thanks Iceman

Back