free website stats program Hillside/Woods 103" build | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Hillside/Woods 103" build

re: Hillside/Woods 103" build

Rick,

Hmmm.......good question. IMO, the 255 is a good torque cam but it falls off too early. Now, my statement is based soley off of the hundreds of dyno charts I've researched prior to selecting my new cams (and the fact that I'm currently running the 255). I use dyno charts as a base....opionions, experience, and friend's feedback matters more to me than any chart. With that being said.....I chose the Woods cams based on their dyno charts and several recommendations from others that are running their cams. A buddy of mine with a 103 is pulling 122HP/123TQ with hillside heads, modded TFI and a TW-7H cam.

I like the 255's, they pull hard down low and that is all that 99% of us want in a bagger. I'm the other 1%............

Installed my new TW-7H's last night after work. Install was a breeze. I'm impressed with the SE billet clutch support plate. The tolerance for the crank/cam gears is .010 and mine ended up at .0015 with no shims. My h eads should be here this week so maybe next weekend I can finish the project. Here's a pic of the support plate and the TW-7H's compared to the SE255's. Picture quality isn't the best.....sorry.
SE billet support plate.jpg

SE255 & TW-7H.jpg

Hobbit,

It is really a great improvement over the stock plate. My builder & others have said that it is a great addition for the $$. I plan on keeping this bike for a long time so I thought it was good preventative maintenance. Much stronger and more precise than stock.

ya need a clear timing cover now to show off the cam plate .. what are the differences between it and stock other than the bushings at the cams instead of riding the stock plate?

Bud,

The billet support plate is machined to near perfect tolerances and it's much stronger than the stocker. I didn't have to change it but I'm only building this bike once and I'm trying to do it right, if anything can be improved, I'm doing it.

Bart,

I tell ya......... I went round'n'round on deciding which cams to run. I researched the S&S 551/583, the Cyclerama 575, several SE grinds and Wood's TW6-6 & TW-7H. I called all these places, looked at hundreds of dyno sheets and talked to lots of guys with different builds. I finally called Bob Wood and he sold me on the TW-7H. I talked to him for a long time about cam grinds and head work. He and Scott (from Hillside) have worked several builds up based on the Woods cams. After talking to Scott, I was sold on their combo....there are several great builds out there and choosing one is pretty tough. Heads should be here in a few days.....I can't wait!

Just wanted to update you all on my Hillside/Wood's 103 build. Heads are torqued, lower rocker boxes are ground to allow for .060 clearance for springs and spring collars, rockers installed and pushrods are adjusted. Tomorrow, it's TFI and exhaust install and then a turnover w/out plugs installed to check for funny noises. Here's a few pics of my progress. I've included a picture of my bride with her Valentines Day gift....a new SE Compensator sprocket. She was THRILLED!!!!! LIFE IS GOOD! :D

Hillside intake.jpg

Hillside Exhaust.jpg

Hillside valves.jpg

Ground rocker box.jpg

Bride's Valentines gift (new SE compensator).jpg

Back