free website stats program Hillside/Woods 103" build | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Hillside/Woods 103" build

re: Hillside/Woods 103" build

B-
I see what looks like a lot of carbon on the piston, I took mine to the local dealer for an opinion.

Mechanic of 30 years said mine was normal for short rides, problem is I don't do many short rides.

I'm making a guess it's the crankcase vent into the air cleaner. There was evidence of some build up in the rear of the throttle body and the intake port of the head.

Good going.
Al

:USA
:CONNECTICUT

Attachments

• IMG_0823 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0823 (Medium).JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 47

Wow .How about a step by step write up for us beginners so we dont have to get beat over the head by the dealership:small3d023::D

JDDH,

I'll take pics of certain steps throughout this build; however, to do heads/cams, you MUST use the service manual (at least I have to). There are many different loosen/tighten patterns (especially on the top end) and all have different torque values. If you don't follow the tighten/torque instructions in the service manual something will get seriously damaged.

B-
I see what looks like a lot of carbon on the piston, I took mine to the local dealer for an opinion.

Mechanic of 30 years said mine was normal for short rides, problem is I don't do many short rides.

I'm making a guess it's the crankcase vent into the air cleaner. There was evidence of some build up in the rear of the throttle body and the intake port of the head.

Good going.
Al

COULD IT BE OIL COM'N BY THE VALVE SEALS?
WHAT DID OTHER CYL LOOK LIKE?

or am i missing the boat here?

signed....BUBBIE

B-

Good going.
Al

I have a question & I am just collecting data. It has nothing to with the amount or type of carbon build up you have.
What brand of crankcase oil do you use.?

Tks

COULD IT BE OIL COM'N BY THE VALVE SEALS?
WHAT DID OTHER CYL LOOK LIKE?

or am i missing the boat here?

signed....BUBBIE

Both about the same, intake valves and stems viewed through intake ports are clean and dry. It has only 10,000 miles. It's not abused either but I do keep up with the rest of our group.

Al

Both cylinders are the same same, intake valves and stems viewed through intake ports are clean and dry. It has 15K+ miles.

I'm in about the same boat.

B1

Fellas,

Today, I pulled the chain tensioner, cam plate and 255 cams out. Woods cams are here, just waiting for my billet cam support plate to come in before I install the new TW-7H cams. Scott, from Hillside, said the stock tappets and rockers are fine for this build but the billet cam plate was a good investment as these cams are on the noisy side.

20 degrees in the garage so I'm not really in a hurry to get this job done.............more to come.

Moderators, how do I change the name of this thread since I did not go with CycleRama? Hillside/Woods 103 build would be more applicable......help me out here?
232323232%7Ffp537%3B6%3Enu%3D3345%3E27%3A%3E6%3C%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D33%3C4%3C6%3B6%3C2336nu0mrj.jpg

232323232%7Ffp53693%3Enu%3D3345%3E27%3A%3E6%3C%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D33%3C4%3C57288336nu0mrj.jpg

Fellas,

Today, I pulled the chain tensioner, cam plate and 255 cams out. Woods cams are here, just waiting for my billet cam support plate to come in before I install the new TW-7H cams. Scott, from Hillside, said the stock tappets and rockers are fine for this build but the billet cam plate was a good investment as these cams are on the noisy side.

20 degrees in the garage so I'm not really in a hurry to get this job done.............more to come.

Moderators, how do I change the name of this thread since I did not go with CycleRama? Hillside/Woods 103 build would be more applicable......help me out here?
View attachment 5351

View attachment 5352

Way the change to the TW-7W?

Back