free website stats program Heritage Softail Classic ? | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

Heritage Softail Classic ?

Here's my take after 5 days on my Heritage. One, it floats over bumps on the freeway to work that made my teeth clatter on the Sporty. Two, with the wife on the back she squeezed my lungs out for the first few miles just like she did on the Sporty. Then she eased up and finally quit holding on to me much at all. When we got home she asked why I didn't buy one of these a long time ago. Three, I cleaned up the Sporty this morning and took it to a friends shop for him to sell it for me. It felt like a mini-bike. I was amazed how going from it to a Heritage didn't seem that much different but going from tha Heritage back to the Sporty was unreal.

i must agree ;-) i thought my beloved sporty would be my bike forever. now it feels like a dirt bike and will be gone soon lol gone but not forgoten

I'm riding a 02 883 now and I love riding. I am thinking about buying a 2000-2004 Heritage Softail Classic. Just would like some comments from:newsmile030: people who are riding the Heritage. My wife has ridden with me only a couple of times and her butt hurts after about 15 minutes on the back of the sporty. I rode to camp (135 miles) and couldn't wait to stand up. Will the Heritage be a lot different of a ride.(more comfortable?). Thanks for your comments.
Animal.

ps. I'm 54 and so is the wife.

The softail will be an improvement from the Sportster for you and your Wife's comfort, but: If you move on up to the touring frame. (ei) Roadking, Electraglide etc. the ride will be even better. I have a Softail Deluxe I have put 2K miles on and a Roadking which I have put 40K miles on. Handsdown, when it comes to the "ride & comfort", which is what you are asking about, the Softail is a sub-model. All you have to do is look around at folk in their 50's...most have went by way of the touring frame group of Harley Davidson.:s
However it's your money so suit yourself!

Nobody's said it yet so allow me - if you think that moving up from the Sporty to a Big Twin is going to open the door for a lot more two up touring type of riding, then why not consider a used Touring model as well? Better passenger accomodations, luggage capacity, music, etc. Hate to see you posting in a year about which Touring model you should trade in your Heritage for!

Seriously, I would not get mentally locked in on any particular bike at this stage. Test ride a lot of them, wife included, and then make your decision.

I agree my 06 Deluxe was wearing me out after a long day in the saddle. I traded up to a 09 street glid

With the exception of a certain rider 'cross the pond, most riders do not like Harley seats, with the exception of the Street Bob I think...anyways, many have found Corbin, LePera, Mustang, Reach & Sundowner all are good seats to try...don't ask which one, you'll get a flood of opinions. Finding the right one is a rather "soft" science to say the least!!! :D
hi, dont know if you have bought the classic yet, but my wife has had some spine ops in the past and our 1200 sporster was a killer on her back. bought a 09 heritage and she looks forward to some short rides now! just need some warm weather in the u.k.

There seems to be an abundance of Heritage knowledge on this thread so I will ask a question: I currently do not own a HD but I will be buying one. I have sort of decided on a used Heritage...my question is this: are there any particular years to avoid or to aim at? Why? Is EFI a must have? Any information that I don't know to ask?

Thanks in advance.

There seems to be an abundance of Heritage knowledge on this thread so I will ask a question: I currently do not own a HD but I will be buying one. I have sort of decided on a used Heritage...my question is this: are there any particular years to avoid or to aim at? Why? Is EFI a must have? Any information that I don't know to ask?

Thanks in advance.

You want to stay away from 99-2000 bikes with bad cam bearings. EFI is optional, carbs are more user friendly, less parts to the system, no fuel pimp or high pressure lines.

You want to stay away from 99-2000 bikes with bad cam bearings. EFI is optional, carbs are more user friendly, less parts to the system, no fuel pimp or high pressure lines.

Thanks for the advice...Its interesting to hear you suggest a carb engine as opposed to EFI; I have been told the opposite at a few dealers. Are there any years that are especially good?

I like the carb bikes because they are easy to work on and don't have all the electronics that the FI bikes have. The bikes around 2003-2004 are a good choice because of the lack of some problems in other years. 2005 had bad valve seals. Seems all years had some problem or other that pops up.

Back