free website stats program Help, will not stay running | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Help, will not stay running

Hope you got your problem solved, but based on what you said in entry point #4, it is hard to believe a plugged IAC was the problem. (Or maybe I am reading too deep into the reply)

Giving the engine throttle with the grip (as said in entry point #4) supplies more air than the IAC will ever supply & the engine should have picked right back up but that did not happen. If the engine still dies even with attempts of giving it throttle by twisting the grip, it's not an IAC problem.

Yes, a plugged IAC will not let the engine idle on it's own, but using your hand grip will enable you to keep it running. Sounds like that was not the case(?)

Heres a list of everything we did this weekend. (My brother and I)

Installed new fuel filter and fuel line, inside the tank.
Installed new crank position senser
Topped of water in two month old battery.
Charged battary.
Tested battery. (good)
Tested charging system. (good)
Cleaned air filter.
Added small amount of octane booster to fresh tank of gas.
checked, wiggled almost every wire on the bike.
Ran speedo diag, found code PO118.
Cleared code, did not reappear.
Spreyed carb cleaner in IAC port, large amount of black gunk dislodged.
Sat on the side of the road approx two hrs.

Started running good after the carb cleaner.

I'll leave it to the guru's as to what may have caused the cure. All I know for sure is, Im riding again and am one (EDIT) happy camper !!!

Thanks again one and all...

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to hear you're back to running consistantly. Ever since I went through the ordeal I make it a point to spray that little sucker out every now and then. Just another one of those little tips and tricks you learn.

Hoople, I'm in the same state of mind you're in. Seems that the throttle plate would allow the air into the system. I don't know enough about how the entire efi and ecm work hand in hand to say why it works the way it does. I wonder if it has to do with the rpm, throttle position and the iac being sticky?

I'm in the same state of mind you're in. Seems that the throttle plate would allow the air into the system. I don't know enough about how the entire efi and ecm work hand in hand to say why it works the way it does. I wonder if it has to do with the rpm, throttle position and the iac being sticky?

I'm thinking since the IAC is just a variable/calibrated amount of air leaking past the throttle plates (an amount that will allow about 1000 rpm), you should be able to crack the throttle plates off it's mechanical stop screw by just 1% and get plenty of air to keep the engine running. 1% of the TPS range is not going to be enough fuel to even worry about. Another thing are the P1353, & P1356 (front & rear combustion). An IAC issue should not throw those codes since as far as I know, those codes can not be generated during low RPM times. Those codes are suppose to be generated during upper rpm and high engine load ranges. Higher RPM & engine loads are the "cleanest" times to grab those conditions. At least that is how my late model Dyna ECM firmware is set up. (early firmware may be different but I would doubt it)

But glad the OP's bike is running,,,just hate when all the pieces of the puzzle really don't fit together. I am almost leaning more toward the crank sensor fixing the problem. The output of those sensors are a function of RPM. An intermittent or problem crank sensor could throw those combustion codes along with sometimes having a low speed misfire. Just hard to say when a group of things are done at one time.

Back