free website stats program Help, will not stay running | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Help, will not stay running

Im not real sure about anything they did for sure. Two days after I got it back, warrenty exspired. Couldnt get the time of day after that.

This problem started before the warrenty expired and is documented. Call the MOCO if the dealer won't help!

Bodeen, YOU DA MAN! Ran the speedo diag and found thease codes.
PO118 et senser voltage open/high EFI
P1353 front cylinder no combustion efi
P1356 rear cylinder no combution efi

Cant clear them and restart the engine till morning. will read on this some more. Thanks again every one

This problem started before the warrenty expired and is documented. Call the MOCO if the dealer won't help!

That all happened in Texas two years ago, I have sense moved to Kansas, but ill definetly give it a shot.

Thanks again

Last edited by a moderator:
Bodeen, YOU DA MAN! Ran the speedo diag and found thease codes.
PO118 et senser voltage open/high EFI
P1353 front cylinder no combustion efi
P1356 rear cylinder no combution efi

Cant clear them and restart the engine till morning. will read on this some more. Thanks again every one

That all happened in Texas two years ago, I have sense moved to Kansas, but ill definetly give it a shot.

Thanks again

(I sent Hoople a PM asking to answer here..)

Hoople?

Could you give your opinion on these codes and especially what needs to be done on the PO118...
Thanks

signed....BUBBIE

I'm wondering this......if you start it and just let it run till it gets hot will it die or will it idle for eternity? I had an issue a few years back, 01 FLSTFI was doing the same thing. Ran great then would die sometimes when coming to a stop. I turned out to be the IAC. I picked up some mass airflow sensor cleaner and shot a couple of blasts into the IAC and it cured the problem.

Brand new gas cap. No backfire unless while coasting to a stop I give it full throttle, it will pop and surge like it might start but doesnt. Always a very strong smell of raw gas when it dies. Has a new battery with full charge but not sure about the lights staying on or not. Scared to take it out at night. If I start it and just let it sit and idel, it will all of asuden rev up after about ten mins and die.

That sounds like a fuel problem, have you checked the fuel pump? Check and wiggle the injector wires and see if the wire harness is in a bind

Well it could be any of the above replies until you eliminate each one. You say your mechanic couldn't find any codes but you did ?

Wonder if he checked the charging system. A new battery will run a bike for awhile without the help of the charging system, but after awhile it will quit on you both bikes and cars.

I'm wondering this......if you start it and just let it run till it gets hot will it die or will it idle for eternity? I had an issue a few years back, 01 FLSTFI was doing the same thing. Ran great then would die sometimes when coming to a stop. I turned out to be the IAC. I picked up some mass airflow sensor cleaner and shot a couple of blasts into the IAC and it cured the problem.

It will idle for ever, sometimes reving a little after about 10 min. Almost always after idling for awhile and you take off, it dies. Thanks, will definatly give that a shot.

Well, I cleared the PO118 code. Took off and half mile down the road it died. Waited, started right up. Pulled in the drive way and it died. This time, no check engine light appeared and no new codes were present.

Call me totally confused...

Well it could be any of the above replies until you eliminate each one. You say your mechanic couldn't find any codes but you did ?

Wonder if he checked the charging system. A new battery will run a bike for awhile without the help of the charging system, but after awhile it will quit on you both bikes and cars.

We have a "Smart Charger" battery charger that will analize your battery and charging system. It said the charging system was charging.

That sounds like a fuel problem, have you checked the fuel pump? Check and wiggle the injector wires and see if the wire harness is in a bind

It appears to be getting plenty of fuel. Very strong smell of raw gas when it dies. Just put new fuel filter and hose on Friday. Pump stays presured up good.

I am still calling it electrical. Like the kill switch on the right handlebar or some wire short in between.

PROBLEM SOLVED!

Stuck a white shop rag in the intake and blasted the IAC hole with carb cleaner thru a straw. You would not belive the amount of black stuff that ended up on the rag. Stained an area about the size of a silver dollar. Put the breather back on, took off and went six miles and four stop signs with only one minore hickup. Went back to the garage and gave it a second blasting, only a small amount of crud, specs on the rag. Took off again. Seventy five or so miles with out so much as a burp. Almost cryed.

Thanks ever so much for all the replys and genuine interest in my request for help. Ya'll have no idea how much this has helped me.

Thank you Thank you Thank you

while coasting to a stop I give it full throttle, it will pop and surge like it might start but doesnt.

Hope you got your problem solved, but based on what you said in entry point #4, it is hard to believe a plugged IAC was the problem. (Or maybe I am reading too deep into the reply)

Giving the engine throttle with the grip (as said in entry point #4) supplies more air than the IAC will ever supply & the engine should have picked right back up but that did not happen. If the engine still dies even with attempts of giving it throttle by twisting the grip, it's not an IAC problem.

Yes, a plugged IAC will not let the engine idle on it's own, but using your hand grip will enable you to keep it running. Sounds like that was not the case(?)

Back