free website stats program Help, will not stay running | Harley Davidson Forums

Help, will not stay running

screeder

I have a 04 Heritage Softail Classic EFI with stage 1 and 42K miles. It always starts and runs great for acouple of miles, then just dies. Usually when slowing down for a red light sometimes crusin at 70mph. Just dies. It will always start right up and run again after letting it sit for no less than ten mins. Goes another mile or three and then dies. The local dealer kept it for two months while still under warrenty and could not fix the problem. I do know they put a new ECM on it. This was about three years ago. Last week an independent mech hook his computer up to the bike and it read no information at all. No codes, just blank screen. Just this weekend I have installed a new fuel filter kit and a new crank position senser, both advised by two different mechanics. No change. Still dies. Full tank of high octane gas. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated before I have to take it some where to be worked on that I really cant afford.

Thanks,

I don't have a manual for your year, but have you tried unscrewing the gas cap to see if it will start back up. Really sounds like a venting problem.

Does the bike backfire from the tailpipe when it dies or starts up afterwards? Does it act like it is flooded with fuel when you re-start it? What type of fueler on the bike? Do the lights and everything stay on? New handle bars?
I am guessing electrical here. However fuel system overpressure, as HDDON points out can be a real issue.

Brand new gas cap. No backfire unless while coasting to a stop I give it full throttle, it will pop and surge like it might start but doesnt. Always a very strong smell of raw gas when it dies. Has a new battery with full charge but not sure about the lights staying on or not. Scared to take it out at night. If I start it and just let it sit and idel, it will all of asuden rev up after about ten mins and die.

Thanks for the quick repleys everyone. I must confess, that link left me totally confused. Definately no mechanic here, gonna have to read up some more. The check engine light does always come on when it dies

The reving up sounds like an intake leak. Did the dealer check the fuel pump pressure?

Im not real sure about anything they did for sure. Two days after I got it back, warrenty exspired. Couldnt get the time of day after that.

Like I said, definately no mechanic here, barely half brained parts changer. Guess she goes in the shop. bad thing is, twice, sitting on the side of the road waiting the ten mins, two different dealer mechincs stopped to offer their ideas that didnt work

Last edited by a moderator:
Back