free website stats program HD Trike gas milage | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

HD Trike gas milage

I have a TriGlide that has had some modification and I probably have a little bit of a lead foot, but I am only getting about 25-30mpg. Never more than 30....

Stock it seemed as I was getting in the upper 30's, since the mods of vance Hine slipons and stage 1 kit, 30 seems to be the average

I purchased my trike Jan 23, 2009. I currently have 7954 miles on it. I have made two trips from Southeastern Virginia to Florida. One to bike week and I returned Wednesday of this week from the last which was to Panama City.

My gas mileage has varied between the low of 29 to the high of 41. I am a speed limit rider. With the bike fully loaded with passenger (wife of 46 years) and a head wind, I got 29 on one tank last week. This was I-95 at 70mph and headwind. The remainder of the last trip I got around 35. That seems to be the norm with a passenger and full load.

I have noticed that I get better mileage in 5th gear up to about 2900-3000. At 3000 I use 6th. I don't expect to ever see 45mpg unless a tuner and remapping will help and I understand it will. I have been told my local HD plus in several forums that this engine needs more air. More air, as I am told, should stop the pinging, run cooler and get better mileage.

u have to take into consideration that your going 70 mph. the faster you go the more gas you use and since you have a trike your pushing more mass that now is NOT aerodynamic anymore into the wind

I don't expect to ever see 45mpg unless a tuner and remapping will help and I understand it will. I have been told my local HD plus in several forums that this engine needs more air. More air, as I am told, should stop the pinging, run cooler and get better mileage.

that sounds a little backwards to me.

More air is leaner, more fuel is richer and that's what is needed to stop pinging that is caused by a lean hot motor.

If you want to get an idea of what mileage you should be getting in different conditions check this out Life on a Harley. In the blog section Ray lists the day's mileage and from the text you can tell the conditions they are riding in. A very cool couple.

My mpg around town and by myself has been 35 to 38 mpg on my 09 Tri-glide. This past weekend my wife and I went on a 900 mile trip to eastern Oregon. Coming back we were on the Freeway and going about 70 most of the way. With the added weight of my wife and all our stuff and higher speeds and a head wind it dropped to about 25mpg. I think that is normal for what we have. Good luck and ride safe.

Back