free website stats program HD Trike gas milage | Harley Davidson Forums

HD Trike gas milage

Woodsman

I took my trike for a little romp the other day, about 250 mi. Most of this was on freeways, kept it at the speed limit, 70 mph. I did this just to check the gas milage, and for some bike time of course, I averaged 29.6 mpg. WAY off of what they advertise. What kind of mpg is everyone else getting? :( The HD site says 48 highway, 33 city.

Intuitively, because there is more road friction, aerodynamics and weight issues with a trike being physically greater, I would not expect nearly as good fuel mileage as the equivalent two wheeler in a straight line.

Add to that, when turning, the trike' rear wheels tend to scrub off the speed and losses would go to the rear end differential and oil frictional as heat, as well as...how strong your right wrist action is. As for OEM vs EPA published mileage, both are done under controlled road and limited vehicle operatng conditions and always better than actual...

Intuitively, because there is more road friction, aerodynamics and weight issues with a trike being physically greater, I would not expect nearly as good fuel mileage as the equivalent two wheeler in a straight line.

Add to that, when turning, the trike' rear wheels tend to scrub off the speed and losses would go to the rear end differential and oil frictional as heat, as well as...how strong your right wrist action is. As for OEM vs EPA published mileage, both are done under controlled road and limited vehicle operatng conditions and always better than actual...

I wonder how mine will pan out. Ive 1993 EGC. When 2 wheeled, I was getting 245 miles before reserve on a 5 gallon tank.
RJ

I think the estimates on mileage from harley are done with that elusive 180 pound rider on a downhill run with a tailwind. With stage one and SERT on my 04 two up we averaged out to 36. On the 08 stock 96 we run out at 42

I don't think many folks get anywhere near what the MOCO publically advertises for miles per gallon. In my case the only way I can get near 50 mpg is to push it down an empty mine shaft.

I knew the mpg would be down but I was hoping for low to mid 30's. That whole trip I consiciously tried to keep my right wrist from its normal twisting action.

I'm somewhere between 25 and 30mpg on mine. I really haven't done a precise check yet as I only have 400 miles on the bike and I consider it still in the breaking-in phase. But with a super race tuner - stage one kit - Reinhart dual slip-on's - well - I don't think I'm going to be anywhere near the 42mpg I had on my Heritage Classic. If I stay close to 30 then I will be happy.

Here's a picture of my Road King Classic which I had triked 18months ago, before it was triked I got 50mpg, since the conversion I only get 33mpg. A friend of mine who had is Road King triked with a different company gets 43mpg.

Skullinserts010.jpg

John

T-man - I've got a '06 Ultra/CSC and at one point, I figure I got 60 mpg on the way back from the west. Of course, that was dropping down the east side of the Rockies on to the Colorado plains.

Seriously, like you, I get right around the 30 mpg range, unless I'm on roads with those long steep uphill grades. The only way I could hope for 43 mpg, is to run across Kansas on I-70 with the cruise set at 55. Even then I'm not so sure.

I do have to admit though, that I didn't buy the trike as an economy vehicle and I don't pay a lot of attention to gas mileage. It is my recreation and I truly feel re-created after every trip. I refuse to let any concerns about fuel mileage spoil that.

Dave

Back