free website stats program Harley Problems | Page 16 | Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Problems

Harley problems

• Total voters
Might the ULB have something to do with the designation that the DMV/state that bike is titled in.

It's titled in AZ now but it was titled in Montana before that same model code so I have no idea. Even if, I should be able to find a reference to it somewhere.

I've had a great experience with my Glide for the first 10 of the 11 years I've had her since being bought new, with only 2 miles on her. She is my first REAL motorcycle. And also, she's my daily driver. However, as with any mechanical things, stuff is starting to break. My memory is starting to elude me. But, something to do with the fuel intake went down in Sept. '09. And, I lost my tail lights back in 2011. It was a bare wire that arched the fuse. My shift linkage gave out at 51,000 miles, back in December 2014. But now... I've been getting some blow-by in this past last year, that's starting to get more and more significant now. And, it's starting to worry me. I've put in roughly over $5K in the past year in fixes, new stator, and primary gaskets. Also had to have the oil pump, cam chain tensioners, and push rods replaced this past February. I still ride her 85 miles a day to work and back. And honestly, I wouldn't be afraid to load up on her and ride across the country today. Now, she's got 73,400 + miles on her, and still chuggin'.
She's been a good one, and my wife and I both want to keep her. I'm preparing for a major overhaul, perhaps. I really wanted to top 100K miles before I had to go there, though. Hmmmm.... :-/

Last edited:
Not yet, sir. I had just replaced the air cleaner last night. And it is running much better. It still has some valve chatter during soft accelerations (like, getting to interstate speeds, adjust to speed limits, ect.). But, only other issue is the blow by. And, everybody I talk to, they say..."if it's a Harley, blow by will always be an issue. But, don't worry about it."

Depending how bad the blow by is to a point. Its like the old Harleys. If they stopped leaking oil then you were out of oil. Ah oh.:oops:

I've had a great experience with my Glide for the first 10 of the 11 years I've had her since being bought new, with only 2 miles on her. She is my first REAL motorcycle. And also, she's my daily driver. However, as with any mechanical things, stuff is starting to break. My memory is starting to elude me. But, something to do with the fuel intake went down in Sept. '09. And, I lost my tail lights back in 2011. It was a bare wire that arched the fuse. My shift linkage gave out at 51,000 miles, back in December 2014. But now... I've been getting some blow-by in this past last year, that's starting to get more and more significant now. And, it's starting to worry me. I've put in roughly over $5K in the past year in fixes, new stator, and primary gaskets. Also had to have the oil pump, cam chain tensioners, and push rods replaced this past February. I still ride her 85 miles a day to work and back. And honestly, I wouldn't be afraid to load up on her and ride across the country today. Now, she's got 73,400 + miles on her, and still chuggin'.
She's been a good one, and my wife and I both want to keep her. I'm preparing for a major overhaul, perhaps. I really wanted to top 100K miles before I had to go there, though. Hmmmm.... :-/

You do not mention what year the bike is but if the breathers have never been replaced or rebuilt. It could be a big part of your problem. If you have the plastic type breathers, it would be beneficial to upgrade to the stamped rebuildable model. Not a hard job with basic tools. Carbon buildup would be a concern over time if left unchecked.

It's a 2005. And, the only thing I know has been done to it, was the breather hoses were replaced. As far as I know. Nothing in my invoices reflect any air intake work, other than already stated.

Breather valves and valve seals could be the source, run a compression test if it is low do a top end job

This help is a good way to reach your goal of a 100,000 before rebuild.

Back