free website stats program Harley Dealers to quit selling on ebay and Amazon | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Dealers to quit selling on ebay and Amazon

Heres a thought on this ---

Dealers quit selling on ebay / amazon...
Dealers get more customers thru the door....
Dealers sell more items than what the customers come in for.

JMO - Purely a business decision here- more customers,more sales.
And remember when your local dealer closes and you have to drive even further when you do need them....!!?

What's to keep HD dealer X from having one of his employees named Joe Joe, from starting an Ebay store and selling parts supplied by dealer X. Call the store whatever name he wants. Sell item/part in original package. Probably would not take long to build a customer base.
This is already happening on Ebay in many areas and business, HD dealers included.
If you check the ship from address, as I do sometimes when an "individual" is selling HD parts in original packaging, you may see that it is a HD dealer address.
Maybe if I was a dealer I would use Joe Joe's address. :D

It has been my experience with ebay that makes me comfortable saying "Always do your due dilligence before buying" I buy and sell there with very little problem. We see many problems with Harleys on this site which doesn't mean Harleys are problem bikes. Its just we are looking for guideance while many never post to salute the brand. In my opion its the same on ebay. I purchased my first bike from a dealer on ebay and got a great deal.

The dealers OUTSIDE of the USA have complained to the MoCO and from August 2011 USA dealers are not allowed to sell outside the USA see this:

This (EDIT). In Sweden the prices are twice or even three times as high as if I order parts from US including Swedish taxes and custom fees. The stopping of international orders only forces me to stop buying genuine H-D parts and start ordering other brands which the H-D stores in US still ships.

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
In Canada all dealerships are governed by Deeley HD out of Vancouver, who dictates and supplies every HD part in Canada.
I understand the need to bring people through the doors. Most dealers in Canada have the same prices, some a little higher/lower, but are all controlled by Deeley in Vancouver.
We have a dealership in Oshawa that has a web site but not all parts from the catalog are available, it seems like they sell off returned items or one-ofs on the web site.
I guess it's OK for some dealers or Deeley would hammer them for sure.
In the past few years I've noticed all HD dealerships around Ontario offer some Kuryakyn parts that they obviously know we buy so they start stocking them. Aftermarket "Gears" bike covers are another item I see in the Ontario dealerships, so they must have some leeway for selling aftermarket items. I bought a K&N air filter through a HD dealer and he ordered it through "Parts Canada" which is a huge parts distributor up here.
I have bought numerous items from HD dealers in the States for a lot cheaper than up here and they always appreciate the business, very helpful, respond to an email right away, and quick to ship. Even after the border stings me with what seems like random item checks and taxes, the items from the States is less expensive.
I'd like to shop only in Canada to help the economy but our prices are so high I get it where I can save money when possible.
We have independants near me that have showrooms full of HD parts, clothing and even stamp your warranty book for service and the genuine HD parts are in the original packaging, so where do they get them? The prices are usually competitve with a HD store. Hmmm, does Deeley Harley allow this or do they buy from a dealer at discount volume prices?
I can't understand why Canadian HD dealerships, now that our dollar is up high, doesn't drop what seems like 25% higher prices than U.S. and perhaps cut down the cross border shopping we Canadians do.
If Deeley HD orders our dealers to stop selling on Ebay, some of these independants will certainly fill the void.

I have bought a majority of my stuff online. The price of items online is far cheaper than any of the dealers around me.
In my opinion this is bad for the consumer. Whatever happen to Free Enterprise (hope this is not a bad word -:p). Just kidding.

I guess I will do less mods to my bike since it will most likely be more costly.

And for me, it is not that I dont want to visit the dealership, the problem is the nearest dealership is 3+ hrs away. I know the pat answer to that is "hey, that is a good ride" but in reality, i don't want to bust 6 hrs for a 30-40 dollar part. If I an find it online at a fair price, I order it.

I just don't like where this is going. It makes it hard on everyone. The customer will have to travel great distance to get parts or service when there area shops ( independent) can no longer get h-d parts from authorized dealers. we used to be a authorized dealer we are a small shop and just could not meet H-d's demands to continually spend to be a copy of the large dealers. yes there are scams out there but if Harley is getting their cut from the sales why do this. very annoying. I made a career change at 36 to be part of the Harley family as a service tech and what they are doing is just plain troubling. have they forgotten the small people who kept them alive through the years? sorry for the rant

When I recently upgraded my cams, new support plate, adjustable push rods, etc. I got all my parts from Ebay at a much cheaper price than the local dealer 10 miles down the road, even with the shipping charges. I spent about $1000 for everything online and it would have cost me $300-$400 more getting it locally. Sure I had to wait about a week for all the parts to arrive, but to save that kind of $$$$$ was well worth the wait. All the parts I got were brand new, still factory wrapped. Strange how I can get parts shipped from Minnesota to Texas cheaper than right down the road.

Back