free website stats program Harley Dealers to quit selling on ebay and Amazon | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Dealers to quit selling on ebay and Amazon

It probably has something to do with MOCO. Years ago while working at a Ford dealership the parts department had to revamp their showroom area because Ford was not going to sell oils and filters etc. to aftermarket parts suppliers. Claim was loosing to much profit and decreasing customer traffic to dealer.

This may ruffle some feathers but if we are wishing that retailers were to just disappear. My first vote is for it to be WALMART! Like Ebay most people will tell you they just cant live without them. I am amused when I hear that. I'm alive and have survived just fine with out either.
Too bad the dealers wont offer decent prices in their stores and instead offer them on-line. My dealer wont deal. Retail is retail. Nobody gets a break. In-turn they are getting the business they deserve.

Bodeen

I picked up some vintage parts during winter when dealers from the northeast purge old stock
Seems the mo-co hates competition

Another possibility is that the "House of Harley of Mil." is just using a common sales tactic, Buy it now, last one, limited time, today only, etc. :newsmile07:
I doubt the moco is willing to affect it's bottom line $$, just because it doesn't want to be associated with discount sales.

I do see how it could be "sales pitch" but Ive dealt with house of harley and they are a pretty reputible dealership so Id tend to take them at their word. I'll have to ask some of my local dealers to see if they are hearing the same thing. I do know the last time I was in my local shop they were told to get rid of all aftermarket parts and helmets from showroom floor and only sell genuine MOCO items. The reason they said was becouse MOCO was having hard time matching and competing with aftermarket prices so perhaps they dont want their products sold cheapier online becouse it lessens the flow of traffic at local dealerships and to compete theyd all have to lower prices thus cheapening the brand???

Due to my location mail order is the only way i can get parts ebay is my preferred source as the item is there and ready to be shipped if i order from a dealer i usually have to wait 4 weeks for it to turn up
when using ebay i have on occasions bought from hd dealers but who ever the seller is i always check their feedback before buying

Brian

If this is true that could really hurt some dealers as eBay allows them to setup a quick and easy online sales presence. I think it is a really poor decision by HD, unless they are going to provide an alternative to allow dealers to sell online, which I doubt though since the Harley online shop charges sticker plus an arm and a leg for shipping.

I suspect the mothership is bolstering the corporate on-line sales strategy and trying to centralize it to protect margins.

The Moco will hang a carrot to the dealers by referring pick up orders to the closest location or even processing the order through the nearest dealer with stock.

Dealers would still be able to sell off mark down stock but, offerred through different channels. Or with consent or approval.

I'm willing to bet the majority of the franchise agreements have been amended since, the last few years they dumped a bunch or others became independant because they didn't like the terms and requirements.

Of course there will be exceptions from the ultra high volume shops too.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

This is all pure speculation on my part. I deal with furniture franchises but, they are facing similar challenges.

Back