free website stats program Guardian Bell / Demon Bell | Harley Davidson Forums

Guardian Bell / Demon Bell

TomH65

Hi all, Not been back here for a few years. Still have the same XL1200R. A friend bought me a Guardian Bell today. She's a biker (but not yet a HD rider), and has one on her bike for good luck whilst riding. I have heard of these bells before and the stories behind them. I have fitted the bell to my bike, and it does look rather nice. She bought me this particular bell with a lucky chinese cat on it, as we are both cat lovers.
Who else has one and what are your thoughts on them?

Last edited:
My wife bought the one for my softail. I have mounted it on the lower frame near the ground. I figured what the heck it can't hurt anything and I have had some non bikers ask me what the bell is all about.

My first daughter bought me one for a birthday; they don't work. While out in the Texas hill country about a month ago, some gremlins attacked by '05 FXSTD and loosened all five bolts that hold the drive pulley to the rear wheel. I was carving up the twisties when I heard a strange noise coming from the rear of the bike; right away I knew gremlins were about. I pulled over, took a look but did not notice the loose bolts. Took off again, no noise but then is started again. This time I could feel something and thought a rear wheel bearing had gone south so I pulled over, called for roadside assistance and had the bike towed home; I still did not see the loose bolts. The gremlins had done a great job of concealing the problem. By the time we got the bike home, the gremlins had bailed and when I got the bike up on the lift, I immediately noticed the problem. The pulley and wheel were damaged beyond repair and both had to be replaced. The bike is all back together again and I am thinking of adding another gremlin bell; one did not work but maybe having two will keep the gremlins away; fingers crossed.;)

https://bikernation.biz/blogs/fun-stuff/the-legend-of-the-gremlin-bells

I have the bell.
A friend gave it to me about 4 bikes ago.
The one prior to this one lost the striker and no longer herd the ring of the departing gremlins on sharp turns.
You see the bell is mounted on the frame just inside from the brake pedal on a leather string and centered between the bike and the ground.
I researched the proper length and distance for maximum efficiency.
The location seems to be the best as braking is somewhat important to me and keeping the brakes gremlin free certainly has worked, except the time we stopped in Arches national park and I grabbed the front brakes while in a dirt pull out area and well we tipped over.
Now I know what your thinking, the bell didn't help. Wrong. It taught me how to pick up the Ultra all by myself. Bonus right?
So if someone gives you a bell, read the story aloud that comes with it, mount it believe in it and one day you too may learn how to pick up your bike.

Regardless of the cute legends, which hold no real water for me, the presence of a bell of this type is a definite indication of the fact that someone cares about you and your safety. This is because of the requirement that you are not supposed to buy one for yourself, but you must receive it as a gift. I bear one on the lowest part of my frame, directly beneath my rear master cylinder, on my '03 RKC. Having no inner dinger, the only time you will hear it sound is during very tight, slow speed maneuvers, but then, you have to listen closely, because the foot boards tend to sing as they scrape the pavement.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Back