Votes: 241 20.5%
  • Lower Grade Only (89)

Votes: 34 2.9%
  • Low Grade Only (87)

Votes: 28 2.4%
  • Doesn't Matter To Me

Votes: 11 0.9%

• Total voters
Got gas at Costco yesterday (93 octane) and thought everything was OK. Went for a ride today with my wife on board and the first time I kicked it a little, it knocked and pinged sooooo bad I thought that I had mistakenly put regular in instead of premium. Got home and checked my receipt and sure enough, it was PREMIUM! I won't be using Costco gas in my Sporty again. Until now, I had only used BP/Amoco, Shell and a few times Hess. All fillups were with premium except one that was regular (no premium to be found a couple of weeks ago) and then I put in 3 oz. of 104Octane Boost. Never heard it ping or knock until today. Got back from my ride, dropped off the wife and filled up with good ole' BP Super. Ran it hard and (slightly) lugged it to hear it pull from slower speeds in 3rd gear---and Voila'---no more ping or knock.

Nope, no more Costco gas in my Sporty. Tracy

At 98 Octane I hope there is no pinking or kanocking. About as close to that you can get around here is 100 Octane Low Lead AVGAS out at the airport.

Here in So Cal, I normally use Shell 93 or Union 76 same:breakdance. Perhaps Glider can tell me, I understand with these EFI and electronic on board, you can get away with anything. I have not tried to go lower yet as my bike is new and it's the first non carbed bike I have owned.:bigsmiley5::

Gas today isn't like the gas of the past. Stick with at least 91 octane or even 93. No sense in cheaping out and damaging the engine. Using a lower grade can cause pinging and when that happens the ION sensing will retard the timing and you loose MPG and performance.

Back