Votes: 241 20.5%
  • Lower Grade Only (89)

Votes: 34 2.9%
  • Low Grade Only (87)

Votes: 28 2.4%
  • Doesn't Matter To Me

Votes: 11 0.9%

• Total voters
use 93 oct. only...chevron does excellent and most of the chevron pumps in my area (southeast louisiana) have seperate hoses...don't like that 3 into 1 hose setup...don't know whats in that hose...:newsmile055:

I use only 93 octane and also add an oz. of Stabile every other tank full. It really seems to cut back that "sputtering" the Sportster seems to be famous for.Guess it helps keep the Carburator cleaner from all the (edit) gas they sell these days.

Last edited by a moderator:
nothing but 93 a friend of mine accidently put 89 octane regular in his 04 1200 custom it ran like crap till he burned it out

I've tried all the different grades and even looked in the book. The book calls for 87 octane. I normally run the 89 and haven't really noticed any difference in the way the bike runs.

We're at about 300 above sea level where I live in TN and I use 93. I just got back from the Rockies and my 103 stg 2 ran great on mid grade at high altitude. No pinging and plenty of power.

I use 93 octaine from whomever has it on the road. Also add 104 booster(3 oz) and Marvel(2 oz) when gas is questionable. I carry these bottles in my hard bags.

Always try to run highest octane, in NC it is mainly 93 octane and I prefer BP Super. They used to sell racing fuel at a local gas station that was 102 octane. Scared I might burn a piston though.

Actually, higher octane burns COOLER! Recommended octane is 91. I use 93 as 91 is diffucult to find here.

Running a higher octane is wasting $$, unless you have 10 to 10.5 or higher compression. High octane is more "knock resistant" in most cases.

Back