free website stats program Gotta Leak | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Gotta Leak

I notice after long rides , the next day or two there is some oil drips under the bike . The other weekend after a 3 and a half hour ride , I came out and saw a fairly large oil spot , rear of bike on left side . I'm new at wrenching on motorcycles engines so where could it be from and how easy could it be to fix .
Did you check all your fluid plugs? mabe not tightened enough or a o ring is gone .

F.K.

Did you check all your fluid plugs? mabe not tightened enough or a o ring is gone .

F.K.
Biggest reason for leak IMO unless the case is cracked or the tranny seal blew out
Then the primary should be over full and leaking jMO

Last edited by a moderator:
and the part is most likely going to cost $2.99. that's what mine cost.. labor was another question!

good luck..

and it's most likely what most said an inner seal! hope not!!

I had ( correct verb ) an oil leak, and could have sworn it was coming from around the oil pan. Not a bad leak, only several drips per day. Just enough to make my live in boss upset about the spots on the garage floor. I did as some described above- cleaned all the grime off the engine best as I could, warmed the bike up and parked it over a piece of cardboard. The next day I found the leak. It was coming from the seal around the wires coming from the regulator to the stator in the very front of the engine.. I guess after 16 years it got brittle and cracked. What was happening is as I rode the bike the oil would blow back, collect around the oil pan then drip. Changed out the stator along with the plug and no more leaks.

Unfortunately the OP never posted if he found the issue or if he fixed it.
Sorry I've been MIA . I cleaned it best I could again and checked the fluids . Everything seemed to be okay . Before it got cold last week I took it out on a nice long ride , around 4 hours . When I got home I let it sit and would check on it every hour or so , nothing . The next morning and subsequent next few days days left no clues . It didn't leak . So now I'm even more baffled . When the weather warms up it will be due for its 15k inspection and service . I plan on going over it with a fine tooth comb for that and to prevent any other little mishaps. Thanks for all the great feedback!! I REALLY do appreciate it . You all are awesome!!!

Thanks Swamp Donkey for the update. Alls I can say is cross your fingers, leakes rarely fix them self but maybe you're the lucky one.

I notice after long rides , the next day or two there is some oil drips under the bike . The other weekend after a 3 and a half hour ride , I came out and saw a fairly large oil spot , rear of bike on left side . I'm new at wrenching on motorcycles engines so where could it be from and how easy could it be to fix .
I recently had the same deal, followed the drips all the way to the front, and up to the Oil Filter, LAst oil change it wasnt tightened enough.

Take a flash light and look at rear of primary cover you will be able to see transmission sprocket look behind sprocket to see if you see transmission housing area wet. If so drain transmissions and as stated in previous post drain transmission and service with redline transmission fluid, it will be red in color. Ride bike and then let it sit for a while. If fluid leaking is red you have a leak at the transmission main shat area it could be transmission main shat seal but most likely it will be the quad seal that is behind the spacer when you remove the sprocket. Replace them both while you are in there. You will have to remove the inner primary cover, so re seal it also: good luck.

Back