free website stats program Gotta Leak | Harley Davidson Forums

Gotta Leak

I notice after long rides , the next day or two there is some oil drips under the bike . The other weekend after a 3 and a half hour ride , I came out and saw a fairly large oil spot , rear of bike on left side . I'm new at wrenching on motorcycles engines so where could it be from and how easy could it be to fix .

First of all you have to determine if it's oil, primary fluid or tranny fluid. Where you may see the drip may not be where it's coming from. Leaks seem to take the path of least resistance and will flow to the lowest point and drop to the ground.

Locating the source can be frustrating sometimes and takes time to find.
Try wiping down the underside of engine, primary and transmission, take it for a spin so she's fully warmed up and inspect using a flashlight. Look for weepage or wet spots around gasket areas is a good place to start.

I came out and saw a fairly large oil spot , rear of bike on left side . I'm new at wrenching on motorcycles engines so where could it be from and how easy could it be to fix .

What year and model? How many miles? Does the leak drip and stop or continue to leak for days after parked? Several possible sources for a leak like this. Take Jeff's advice to try and find the source of the leak but whether it stops or continues to leak will tell a lot.;)

I agree with the comments above about oil/fluid leaks being a pain to find. Also second the request from dolt about model/year.

Sometimes when the oil filter is changed, oil can spill onto the front of the engine and lay around for a while until showing up. Try this:

I suggest that you clean the engine and tranny very well with soap (detergent) and water. Use a soft bristle, non-synthetic scrub brush and get the underside and everything you can reach as clean and oil free as possible. If there is a bunch of oil and road stuff on the engine and tranny (especially on the bottom), you might try getting some spray degreaser from one of the auto parts stores and hit the bad stuff with that.

Once you have the engine and tranny as clean as you can get them, dry them with a towel and let them sit out in the sun for a while. When good and dry, then take the bike for a pretty long ride and then park it over some packing paper or cardboard. Inspect the engine and tranny especially underneath, between the inner primary and the tranny, and around the valve covers. Check around the oil filter too.

If you can't see anything, let it sit over the paper/cardboard over night and then check. If still not obvious, then start riding and parking the bike over the same spot on the paper/cardboard until you see some tattle tails. Once you see evidence, start a real search for the source of the leak.

Good luck on your hunt!

Cheers,

TQ

Check from the top rear corners of the rocker boxes first, have a look @ the drain plug in the oil pan, did you tighten it with a NEW O ring?

My guess is tranny or inner primary shaft seal. Change your tranny fluid to redline and clean every thing. Ride it til hot and park it.if the leak spot looks like pepto bismol, its your tranny shaft seal. I chased the same problem for months and finally changed all the primary , shifter and tranny seals.

My guess is tranny or inner primary shaft seal. Change your tranny fluid to redline and clean every thing. Ride it til hot and park it.if the leak spot looks like pepto bismol, its your tranny shaft seal. I chased the same problem for months and finally changed all the primary , shifter and tranny seals.

Don't disagree that a methodical check as described by TQ is appropriate but the tranny and/or the inner primary shaft seal are the usual suspects and where I would be looking. If a tranny leak, it will continue to leak while on the kick stand until the fluid level gets below the level of the MDG seal. If an inner primary seal leak, it will drip after a ride and then stop usually leaving a spot a little larger than a quarter........:;)

What year and model? How many miles? Does the leak drip and stop or continue to leak for days after parked? Several possible sources for a leak like this. Take Jeff's advice to try and find the source of the leak but whether it stops or continues to leak will tell a lot.;)

It's a 2004 FLSTF . It appears to leak right after it's been out and then stop .

13,000 miles

Here's a pic

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    583.1 KB · Views: 40
Last edited by a moderator:
Z0uEIypcpEx_.JPG
Put some in and run it

http://www.hdtimeline.com/threads/oil-leak-detection.60176/#post-576550

Look here, you can order this on line, the first item is @ Walmart, the second you can get @ almost any auto parts retailer or on line, around $20.00 for the pair
We used this to track down exact leak locations with AC and any fluid leak @ work for years, the AC kit is a bit different, it uses a syringe type schrader valve injector, wear safety glasses, this stuff is messy

Last edited by a moderator:
Back