free website stats program Fuel Smell | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuel Smell

not that i like it, but im glad i am not the only one having this problem...mines a 2007 streetglide with 2028 miles on it...bought month ago from my boss..he never rode it ..had 560 miles on it when i got it.
i cant find the smell origin either and my garage is attatched to house and it reaks of fuel vapors

Have the same fuel smell problem with my '07 Ultra but not with my '08 Fat Bob. Ultra has stage 1 ac, true duals, reinhart mufflers and sert. The fat Bob has stock ac and download with slip-on mufflers only. Could that difference have something to do with it?

Have any of you that have this fuel smell ever lifted the tank up for any reason off the frame? If so there is a plastic fitting on the end of the flexible fuel line that cracks and leaks.

Glider, all these comments about smelling fuel on fuel injected 07-09 bikes gets me real nervous when I see those plastic fittings and fuel line filters replaced with a "newer" better PLASTIC version on these fuel injected bikes. Plastic is a petroleum product that deteriorates and fatigues over time. The automotive industry moved away from this long ago in the 70's & 80's after considerable trouble with fuel line deterioration (especially with fuel injection line pressure 50-80 PSI) and now with the new fuel additives, a lot of guys in their luxury boats are having to replace their FIBERGLASS fuel tanks and owners of old cars and bikes have to rebuild their fuel systems. I sure hope the aftermarket picks up here with metal replacements for these HD "cost effective" replacment plastic parts.. :small3d012:

Last edited:
I agree here, just too many "cost effective" parts being used in place of the proper materials all for the purpose of profit.

Yes, I have experienced this Strong Gas smell after riding the 2009 Street glide i own. I have just 150 miles on it and it just started doing this. I will start with a New fuel cap. I have checked all the lines and everything seems to be connected. My 2008 Never had this problem. Go figure.

I have a 2009 Road Glide, picked up in May, that now has about 8,600 kms on it.

It DEFINITELY hit me strongly with fuel odour from time to time, while riding. No reason could be found, nor did the dealer have any specific idea what to do.

I'm not aware that any work was done specifically to remedy this complaint/observation, but I can say that this smell problem has NOT happened to me in some time now. In fact, I only noticed this upon reading this thread.

So, maybe there's something to the "only happens when new" observation, or... perhaps something done in the routine 8000km service adjusts/cleans/tightens something that remedies the problem?

Anyhow, just sharing another experience.

Cheers,

]{evin

My 06 does not do this, so i would think something isn't right. I would definitly take it in to have it checked out. Hate to have something catch fire.

ive noticed this on my 08 just recently. I have had the tank off several times removing tfi and installing Xieds. Figure it is the o rings that glider me ntioned. have you recently done any mods that could causer tis

I live in beautiful sunny Arizona (110 in the shade) and my 08 Street glide does the same thing ,especially in the summer.Just another of those fine high dollar qualities of the bar and shield I guess!

I had this once, right after a fill up.. I figured I filled it to much and it was leaking somewhere, doesnt do it everytime but when it does,, its STRONG..
maybe opening the gas tank and let out the pressure , ill check more when I notice that again --Chino

Back