free website stats program Frustrated and Discouraged | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Frustrated and Discouraged

If you put the bike in neutral at about 50 mph and shut the motor off, does the vibration disappear or is it still present?

You're going to have a tough time getting the trans into neutral at 50 MPH. You have to downshift through the gears to get there and that isn't going to be easy.

You're going to have a tough time getting the trans into neutral at 50 MPH. You have to downshift through the gears to get there and that isn't going to be easy.

I don't Know What the Maximum speed I can go in Second Gear is but I would NOT try to shift to neutral cause I might HIT First... Now that would spell

DISASTER!!!

signed....BUBBIE

No problem Slapp,I dont mind the normal harley vibration,and vibration is probably not the right description,it's just a brief different sensation that comes into the floorboards at certain speeda and rpm's.I rode two other Ultra's and did not get that feeling.I also had multiple people at the dealership ride it and they all felt it. In total they installed the Stage 1,adjusted the clutch,replaced all the engine mounts,and the final thing was to replace the floor boards.I got it back and I'm still feeling it but not as bad.I think I'm just going to ride it awhile and see what happens.I love my bike though.

I am glad that some other's felt the "vibrations". It's good to know you're not alone. It seems like all the simple stuff has been covered. The only think I can think of is that is is some sort of resonance issue. Kind of a natural harmonic that happens when certain frequencies come together. The fact that it happens at highway speeds seems interesting. Could wind be a contributing factor? I just recently took my lower fairings off for the summer and I know that when I get to about 60-75 mph the wind causes a "vibration" I feel in my feet. Above or below this speed it is not there at all and with the lowers on it does not exist at any speed.

I don't Know What the Maximum speed I can go in Second Gear is but I would NOT try to shift to neutral cause I might HIT First... Now that would spell

DISASTER!!!

signed....BUBBIE

This may seem like a silly question but: if the clutch is in, what does it matter? I would agree with disaster if you let the clutch out at 50mph in 1st gear. Here I am envisioning "coasting" with the transmission in 1st and the clutch lever pulled in.

Or, when you say "shift to neutral" do you mean having the transmission in neutral and letting the clutch out? (I definitely wouldn't try that!!)

Never mind. I think Hobbit cleared it up for me...

Last edited:
YEAH!!!!! Finally got the vibration on my UC resolved.Turns out the flywheels were out of tolerance.Factory said to replace em and now it runs like a new bike.WOOHOO :)

Good to hear gww303!! A 6 month chase would frustrate anyone.. Glad to hear that the dealer finally found it..:D

YEAH!!!!! Finally got the vibration on my UC resolved.Turns out the flywheels were out of tolerance.Factory said to replace em and now it runs like a new bike.WOOHOO :)

That is great news, seems The MOCO is having a rash of this, but still wont address the issue directly, good for you and Good Luck:s

Wow..way to keep after them. I guess you remained convinced that it wasn't a normal vibration and to just live with it. Did it continue to get worse on you? For new owners of a Harley, that can be a tough diagnosis as they are one vibrating machine. Sometimes hard to tell whats normal and what's not on these bikes without some saddle time.

Did you stay with the original dealership and they stayed engaged with you on this, or did you have to turn into the customer from Haedes to keep them working on it?

Congratulations on finding the problem...certainly glad you were patient enough and found the root cause. There are a lot of satisfied HD owners and riders out there, would have been really disappointed to have a new one dissatisfied...! :D

Back