free website stats program Frustrated and Discouraged | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Frustrated and Discouraged

There's SOOOOOO many dealers that don't know what they are doing that it's sickening!

Sometime I wonder if they "just don't know" how mechanical things operate.

This is a 100% TRUE story and I have 3" of paperwork to prove it.

I purchased 2 new identical Yamaha motorcycles. Put 100 miles on each bike and changed the oil. One Bike had a ton of metal in the original oil filter, the other did not. Checked the oil pressure on each and one had 3 PSI and the other bike had 45 PSI.

The dealership's head master mechanic said that was normal and what I was witnessing was a bike to bike manufacturing allowable tolerance.

100% absolute truth.

3 PSI and the other bike had 45 PSI....
The dealership's head master mechanic said that was normal and what I was witnessing was a bike to bike manufacturing allowable tolerance.
Sure it wasn't a Harley (they all do that) :D

I call that somebody that doesn't know what they are doing, seen it much too many times myself. I enjoy however letting the mechanic talk them-self into a corner ...then firing a few tech questions at him and watch him get defensive when they can't answer and they see you know what you are saying, just LOVE that! :lolrolling

I read the post in this thread and did not see if you had the vibration before the flat tire. If you did not have the vibration before than I would look no further than the balance or alignment of the tire. During the new tire install was a mistake made and maybe some damage done to the swingarm? Did the dealer recheck the balance? I do agree that a stage one upgrade would not cure a vibration. I also agree that you owe it to yourself and Harley to get a second opinion. Ask around your area or ask for advice from members of the forum for an honest dealer in your area. We are all here to try to provide advice and assistance, this is a great place to solve problems.

Thanks guys for all the info.The dealer/service dept where the bike is at is supposed to be pretty good from what I've heard. I dont know if vibration is the right term,when I'm riding the bikeand going through the gears when I hit
3000 rpm I would feel a different sensation in the floor boards and then it would go away,really felt it the most in 4,5,6 gear and around 70-80 mph in 5,6.After the engine mapping,they adjusted the clutch and changed all the motor mounts.Seemed to help some but sensation still comes in at 70 mph 3000 rpm in 5th gear.Dont know if the problem was there before the flat i had only had the bike since the afternoon before and didnt have enough riding to notice.I did have the wheels swapped out from laced to cast after the flat.
I don know maybe I'm being to picky but the other Ultras that i rode did not have this issue.
The dealer is Harley-Davidson of North Texas,like I said I've only heard good things about them..Anyone out there have any comments on this dealer/service dept?

I agree with the others...stage 1 isn't going to cure a vibration and you probably need to find a new dealer. I could be wrong but it kinda sounds like the vibration you're feeling is speed related. Since you swapped the wheels, I would ask the dealer to re balance both wheels as a start. I too came from a Goldwing to an /09 Ultra. They're totally different machines and, as much as I liked the Honda, I LOVE the Ultra. Hang in there.

It does (EDIT) but don't give up yet. I agree about finding another mechanic. I just don't trust the dealers anymore so try and find an indy. I have one now that was a HD mechanic at a local dealer for about 13 years and went out on his own because he didn't like the way the dealers worked. They bust a hump, get a pittance of what you end up paying and get layed off the first sign of a slowdown. Now dealers have a lot of new techs (not mechanics) and you never know who is going to work on the bike. Maybe check with some of the local hog members as they usually have somebody they all go to.
Could be that the tires are bad (some did come wrong from the factory).

Language is not permitted on this forum.

Please read and understand the info in this link...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
You mentioned the vibration occurs at speed and at around 3000 RPM. Bring the bike up to speed and disengage the clutch so see if the vibration persists. If it does, it pretty much rules out the engine unless it's transmission related. Is the air pressure right in your shocks?

Welcome to the forum gww303, sounds like you need a new shop that can do something be sides take your money and give Harleys a bad rep.

Amen chopper. I bought my 09 Ultra 17 months ago and after 27,000 miles, it's still ready to roll. I hope he finds a dealer or mechanic that will get him back on the road where he belongs.

Bought my 09 Ultra April 19th,traded in an 88 Goldwing hat I had for 5yrs and never had an issue.Had a flat the second day I had the Harley and since then its been in the shop for a phantom vibration twice and is still there now going on two weeks.Was told if I put the sage 1 on it would fix the problem.$1400 dollars later still not fixed and still in the shop.Getting really frustrated!!! :(

I hear ya gww - I had a 96 Wing that I rode for the last 14 years. That thing was a rocket ship. Not a problem 1 on it over the years, other than the standard maintenance. Moved to Florida and said I'm getting me a hotrod. Bought an 08 UC, sold the Wing, and loving it. Like one fella I was talking to said - it's like a religious experience.

That said, man it is night and day difference between the two. I can see much much more attentiveness to this 08 will be required vs the old metric. But I'm alright with that.

This spot here is a great watering hole. Folks very willing to help out. My suggestion would be to run things past the folks here before dropping any serious dollars on your tourer. They'll most likely give you a good foundation to make an edgicated decision on which will hopefully steer you in the right direction. Hang in there -

Did you or any one tighten bolts on the bike? If the front motor mount bolt is too tight the bike will vibrate more than normal.

Back