free website stats program Fluid Changes without torque wrench | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Fluid Changes without torque wrench

I just got home from Sears..purchased a Craftsman 3/8...only 1 year warranty now on these things..coulda swore all sears tools had lifetime on them.

I just got home from Sears..purchased a Craftsman 3/8...only 1 year warranty now on these things..coulda swore all sears tools had lifetime on them.

Funny thing about my employer, Sears, they dont consider the torque wrenches a hand tool, so we take them back to the sales floor before the year is up and swap them out, Jack

A needle torque wrench? Wow! that's hardcore and it must be tough to see the needle w/o a mirror. That was one of my 1st tools I bought when I got out of the Navy. Couldn't afford a clicker. Rebuilt a lot of VWs with that jewel. Stabbed my finger a few times too...I still have it way in the back of the bottom drawer of the roll away. Antique anyone? I agree w/Smiddy, if you've been wrenchin' as long as we have, clean the threads real good and use a new O-ring you will be OK. If you are a Newbie, better use a torque wrench, but still clean the threads on the plug and use a new O-ring (they're cheap).
WAP.gif

Ive still got 2 needle torque qrenches left over from my younger days one was my dads ive also got his socket set
didnt use them for years till the first time i had the primary off then i found out my clicker torque wrenches on clicked one way
So the old needle one worked to get the clutch hub nut close to correct but needed another pair of eyes to watch the needle for me
Ive now invested in a bi directional clicker torque wrench it was not cheep

Brian

Well I took the plunge..and bought a Craftsman 3/8 at Sears. It's fine but you'd think they would come with a magnifying glass!!! Could they write the manual and embossing with a smaller font ?? Chrome text on a chrome background ?? Doh!!!!

rant over lol..

Now the Touring manual says to tighten the oil plug to 14021 ft-lbs (19.0-28.5 Newtons). If my vision isn't 100% out to lunch, this appears to be near the top of the scale..does this sound correct ?? Do you really tighten this bolt to the (almost) max ?? The wrench goes from 25-250 in lbs/3.61-29.03 newtons.

Thanks

Back