free website stats program Fluid Changes without torque wrench | Harley Davidson Forums

Fluid Changes without torque wrench

bigcletus

Is it possible, to tighten the plugs (oil, tranny etc) without a torque wrench, and without damaging the drains ??

I don't have one..is it something "critical" ?? Anyone do it without ??

Thanks

just buy one ya spent 20k on the hd .. can it be done sure .. but if you over tighten and say crack the oil pan .. thats only 3-400 for the pan then labor to install same with trans and primary cover.. you dont need a 500$ TQ wrench buy one from harbor freight they are cheap and will work for the oil drains

lol...thanks Bud...I found a few other posts on TQ wrenches. I guess I just needed a "push" .

Would a 1/2 or 3/8 be better for fluid changes (that's probably all I'll ever really do)

The plugs just need to be snug enough so they can't come loose. Just make sure the seals are in good conditon to do their job.

Fluid changes should be routine, but why work shorthanded and not use the right tools? That would be like trying to do service with one hand tied behind your back. The key here is if you want to be sucessful, do not take short cuts the first time around. Nothing worse than a new Do It Yourself project starting off with an unsucessful or disasterous (read expensive) disassembly. Most servicers also charge more if you did the work on it yourself. The key is to plan for sucess, by having the right tools, service manual and "reherse the steps" before actually doing them. You may realize that you forgot to get o-rings or gaskets, or Blue Locktite to seal/lock the fasteners in place and use "wet" thread torque value.

Do go to tool discounters for specialized tools like torque wrenches, micrometers, lifts etc. that are metal (stainless steel or hardened alloys are preferred) verses very expensive if name branded ones (use as visual examples to understand quality). And be patient...I go to garage sales when looking for tools, sometimes old school tools are better than new ones. Do look over this site regarding the SEARCH tab (type in key words to find related threads) and the SELF HELP tab for tips and details and how to do service better.

Last edited:
Torque wrench is the best way to be sure you dont over do the plugs i got my first one as a 21st birhday present from dad along with a socket set with the note tahat if you are using a socket to tighten up a bolt youll need a torque wrench
if you use a spanner then its length is determined by the size of the head that it works on so that you shouldnt be able to over torque it

Brian

Also, might want to go with "in-lbs" vs. "ft-lbs" b/c most of the routine items you'll work on are lighter torque value. You can always up-convert in to ft lbs, if necessary.

thats a good point ya should have one in both as hd does flip flop a ton

Back