free website stats program Fluid Changes without torque wrench | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Fluid Changes without torque wrench

Thanks Guys..I'm good to go...a 3/8 it is...

I'm looking at a Husky 3/8 from Home depot..any opinions on this one ??

Last edited by a moderator:
Home Depot one is okay, at least as good quality as the Harbor Freight ones, at about 1/3 more in price. As always, Smitty is correct as far as "seasoned veterans" knowing that you tighten drain plugs and low torque items one or 1 1/2 castellation tighter once the fastener contacts the base surface.

Last edited:
Also, might want to go with "in-lbs" vs. "ft-lbs" b/c most of the routine items you'll work on are lighter torque value. You can always up-convert in to ft lbs, if necessary.

Using the inch / Lbs. setting on a Ft / Lbs TQ wrench can be a problem, cracked case, stripped threads etc. :newsmile055:

Here is an online calculator to help.

Torque Equivalents - Conversion Calculator - For more than 100,000 psi Material Calculator - Equivalents Calculator - Engineers Edge

Have a look at these:

Torque Wrench Suggestions - Harley Davidson Community

I bought these following Glider's recom and imported them to UK. Very glad I did - they are very nice tools and well below the price of Snap-on. Snap-on is the Rolls Royce of tools but with the price tag to go with it.

I a newbie but learning and I've already used these wrenches quite a bit.

Good luck and ride safe.

Thanks Guys..I'm good to go...a 3/8 it is...

I'm looking at a Husky 3/8 from Home depot..any opinions on this one ??

I have used HUSKY tools for years and they work great and on my older husky tools the finish is still in NEW shape and the wrenches n sockets STILL fit tight.

Signed....BUBBIE

Husky needle type torque wrench will be just fine.Biggest reason for failure of any torque wrench is either its used to losen bolts or its stored under preset tension.

Always 0 out your torque wrench after using.You can also calculate inch lbs. to foot lbs pretty easily..12 inch lbs = 1 ft lb.

Cheap insurance, especially if you're new to this. Over time you'll get to know how much is enough.

Nice thing about my Snap On Torque wrenches is they have NM and Ft Lbs on the scale, I have total of 4 wrenches all with different scales and ranges from 25 in lbs to half inch flex head to 250 ft lbs, remember to wind the torque to zero when done and u are good to go

Back