free website stats program Finally!!!!!! | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Finally!!!!!!

I had mine replaced just one time. It was at 60k when I did it. They put in new cam bearings, new oil pump, new everything. I guess I will have them checked at 100,000. I have the 5 Wheel and Tire and the 5 year extended Warranty good till 2016. The bike runs really good. I drove it all the way to Charlotte NC this pass holiday weekend. 70 and 80 mph. Not a problem at all. Weather was hot, and I checked the oil temp was about 230 - 250 and I don't have a oil cooler. I was using Royal Purple full syn in mine, but man that stuff is expensive. So I switched over to Mobile 1 VTwin 20W 50 for the engine. Red line in the trans, and Formula + in the Primary, and the HD oil Filter. I think that is a good combo.

Hi 05geezerglide, I did not know they had an update on the valve train. Was there a bulletin on that issue?

I replaced the cam chain tensioner shoes at 60k. I should have done it sooner as they were really worn, but I didn't know about it then. I'm going to go with either the gear drive or the Harley hydraulic tensioner upgrade. I suppose that's the bad part of doing all your own work, you could miss something.

Thanks guys - that information is good to have - I have 45K on my bike - better get to checking out those tensioners soon.

Bill

Sooooooo, tlyoungb you better get out there and get going. You are only right around the corner with 100,000 miles. best of luck to you.:)

Sooooooo, tlyoungb you better get out there and get going. You are only right around the corner with 100,000 miles. best of luck to you.:)

Hi dbmg,
Man I am working on it. I can't wait actually. I hear alot about how these metric bikes can got this distance and hey they go with out all this maintenance. I am out to prove that you can take a Harley Davidson and keep the oil changed and stock, and do pretty much of the required maintenance yourself and these bikes will run for ever. All my friends now have like 2010 and 2011 Harley's. I am the only one that has an 05 EGS in our little riding group. They keep telling when am I going to upgrade. I tell them, I ain't selling my bike for a upgrade. I am keeping mine till I can't twist the throttle any more.

This 05 EGS runs great. Little bit of noise, but I expect that with 80,000 miles on it. From everything I have read on this site the next recommendation is get louder pipes. hehehehe I keep the oil changed, and I took the advices of the Great Wizard (Glider), and use only HD filters. So we will see what the next 20k brings.

Hi dbmg,
Man I am working on it. I can't wait actually. I hear alot about how these metric bikes can got this distance and hey they go with out all this maintenance. I am out to prove that you can take a Harley Davidson and keep the oil changed and stock, and do pretty much of the required maintenance yourself and these bikes will run for ever. All my friends now have like 2010 and 2011 Harley's. I am the only one that has an 05 EGS in our little riding group. They keep telling when am I going to upgrade. I tell them, I ain't selling my bike for a upgrade. I am keeping mine till I can't twist the throttle any more.

This 05 EGS runs great. Little bit of noise, but I expect that with 80,000 miles on it. From everything I have read on this site the next recommendation is get louder pipes. hehehehe I keep the oil changed, and I took the advices of the Great Wizard (Glider), and use only HD filters. So we will see what the next 20k brings.

Well here some fuel for your fire....Prior to purchasing my EG new in 2008 I had a 1999 Kawasaki Nomad with 50,000 miles. At 38,000 miles the plastic gear on the oil pump failed and smoked the engine. Kawasaki picked up the tab except for $1300.00 dollars. That was changing oil every 1,500 miles. So you only have the challenge of riding till bike is no longer ridable. As Buzz Light-year says, To infinity and beyond.

VERY soon! :D

well Glider, you inspired me to "git-r-done' - last nite I bit the bullit and began taking the cam cover off for tensioner inspection. The ONLY problem I had was getting to three of the screws near/at the bottom and front side behind exhaust pipe. I did not do anything with exhaust. Cut down an allen wrench and removed all the screws and removed the cover. The outside (main) tensioner was not too bad - worn about between 1/32-1/16" with no pieces missing or chunks torn out. The second one on the inside was about the same condition. I think I will still consider replacing them soon, maybe before another 2-3K miles. Oh yeah, I drew a picture of the outline of the cam cover on a piece of 1/2" thick styrofoam about 10" x 15" piece (came as packing for AC unit) - then numbered all the bolts clockwise begining at the top left bolt and then listed the numbers for the bolts on the side of the pic and just stuck the bolts in the styrofoam beside the corresponding number. This will def keep me from getting the bolts mixed up when re-installing them.

Thanks for your help and prodddddding. it worked in my case.
Now, all I really need to do is decide whether to go back with original type spring tensioners or hydraulic. My wife and I only ride maybe 5-8K miles a year. New OEMs should last us a very long time.

Bill

Back