free website stats program Finally!!!!!! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Finally!!!!!!

Awesome milestone & I'm sure she's got many more miles of fun in her. Keep on racking them up - congrats!

tlyoungb, I have the same exact bike and have had alot of problems, lost a whole summer due to secondary drive belt problems, I only have 25,580 miles on my bike.
Did your dealer update your valvetrain and oil pump to the 96" set-up, if so did the 22-2500 rpm valve noise go away? I really like my bike and plan on handing down to my son when I get my Ultra Limited... congrats on the 80k miles I hope I will have a simular post in a couple years.

I have 78500 miles on my 02 FLHTC and never had it to a dealer. I do all my own work. I ride to and from work every day , 35 miles round trip. It has been a good bike and it will be the last one I own. It looks like brand new the way I keep it, and I'm too old and too broke to ever think of buying a new one. Not to mention the wife who says don't even think of new!!!!

TLyoungB and dd128;

I am really pleased to see you have 78K/80K miles. I hope I get that many. Question for you both - how many times have you replaced your cam chain tensioners in the 80K miles?

Bill

Last edited:
I had mine replaced just one time. It was at 60k when I did it. They put in new cam bearings, new oil pump, new everything. I guess I will have them checked at 100,000. I have the 5 Wheel and Tire and the 5 year extended Warranty good till 2016. The bike runs really good. I drove it all the way to Charlotte NC this pass holiday weekend. 70 and 80 mph. Not a problem at all. Weather was hot, and I checked the oil temp was about 230 - 250 and I don't have a oil cooler. I was using Royal Purple full syn in mine, but man that stuff is expensive. So I switched over to Mobile 1 VTwin 20W 50 for the engine. Red line in the trans, and Formula + in the Primary, and the HD oil Filter. I think that is a good combo.

TLyoungB and dd128;

I am really pleased to see you have 78K/80K miles. I hope I get that many. Question for you both - how many times have you replaced your cam chain tensioners in the 80K miles?

Bill

Hi 05geezerglide, I did not know they had an update on the valve train. Was there a bulletin on that issue?

tlyoungb, I have the same exact bike and have had alot of problems, lost a whole summer due to secondary drive belt problems, I only have 25,580 miles on my bike.
Did your dealer update your valvetrain and oil pump to the 96" set-up, if so did the 22-2500 rpm valve noise go away? I really like my bike and plan on handing down to my son when I get my Ultra Limited... congrats on the 80k miles I hope I will have a simular post in a couple years.

Last edited by a moderator:
I replaced the cam chain tensioner shoes at 60k. I should have done it sooner as they were really worn, but I didn't know about it then. I'm going to go with either the gear drive or the Harley hydraulic tensioner upgrade. I suppose that's the bad part of doing all your own work, you could miss something.

Yes, 95 and Palm Bay Rd.

Bodeen

Thanks Bodeen, I thought that was the one. My brother lives in Palm bay and we go there every time I am down. The folks at the dealership are always nice and friendly. They seem to have fair prices compared to others and I like the lounge they have for there riders. They offered a great deal on a new 2010. It only had 4 miles on it and they were willing to let it go for a good price. I was very tempted to trade Ruby in but then reality set back in and I respectfully declined.

Back