free website stats program Extended Warranty | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Extended Warranty

I would have thought the mark-up would have been much higher. 10% over cost isn't an excessive mark-up. IMO

You're thinking of a single rider. Imagine how much profit they make across the board, considering the folks who never make a claim and 100% of their money is profit to the company.

You're thinking of a single rider. Imagine how much profit they make across the board, considering the folks who never make a claim and 100% of their money is profit to the company.

I agree, across the board they're making a big profit but isn't that what free enterprise is all about? To me it's like buying insurance. I buy it on the house also but hope I never use it. If Harley makes big money on their ESP maybe they could take some of that profit and design better bikes. LOL

Bought a 08 Ultra Classic. Bike has 4000 miles. I am the third owner.
Factory warrenty is up in 20 days. Do I spend 800$ for a 1 year warranty or roll the dice?

This is strictly a personal prefference, I have a heritage softail which compared to an ultra is a pretty bare bones bike. I figured anything that went wrong I could take care of for under the cost of the extended warranty.If I had an Ultra with all the bells and whistles I would probably consider the extended warranty.

The motor company builds a much more reliable and technically advanced product than in years before. I believe with regular self maintenance and reasonable mechanical abilities extended warranty's are not worth the money.

There is no way to describe the feeling I had when my 07 superglide would't idle, while I was just outside Birmingham Ala. in the pouring rain in Sept 09. I called Riders HD in Trusselville Ala and they took my bike in right away and found the ICU was not working and the computer was not up to par. Had to wait 1 day for computer but just found some other things to do, after all I was on holidays. $50 ded't and HD paid for motel for 2 nights and meals for 2 days. What more can a guy ask for when he's 4000 miles or so away from home? By the way, Riders HD were fantastic!! Dave

There is no way to describe the feeling I had when my 07 superglide would't idle, while I was just outside Birmingham Ala. in the pouring rain in Sept 09. I called Riders HD in Trusselville Ala and they took my bike in right away and found the ICU was not working and the computer was not up to par. Had to wait 1 day for computer but just found some other things to do, after all I was on holidays. $50 ded't and HD paid for motel for 2 nights and meals for 2 days. What more can a guy ask for when he's 4000 miles or so away from home? By the way, Riders HD were fantastic!! Dave

Yep for those saying it is not worth it... it is piece of mind for those that buy it.

I like knowing that my 15k a year mileage means my HD warranty will actually last much longer than my Audi warranty. I like knowing that if I am in another state and a seal blows there is someone to pick me and the bike up and fix it while I do not have the comforts of my own garage, lift, and tools along with the couple of days and case of beer to do the job myself. I also like knowing that if something happens on a Monday on the way to work I will not have to plan my evenings during the rest of the week to fix it. Instead I drop it off, drive the car, and wait for the phone call that says I am back on two wheels.

For the guy with a full shop, that likes to spend his free time tinkering and fixing, and that does not travel far from home and friends on the bike, and might just puts 5k or less a year on those two tires, the extended warranty does not make a lot of sense. But even for this guy, there is the possibility of a major repair with material costs, and especially your own time and effort costs factored in, that exceed the cost of the extended warranty.

It is all a guessing game. I am guessing that my piece of mind and possible savings is worth more than the cost, and HD is guessing that their time and material costs are less than what I paid. Hopefully we are both right since they can not factor in my piece of mind and how much I might save with even a minor repair when I am 2000 miles from home when they run the numbers.

I paid for an extended warranty when I bought my first Harley. Several times I went into the service department with an issue and everytime they said it was not covered. I just got a used Dyna this year and the sales department told me all those issues should have been covered. The only guy I know who got them to apply the extended warranty had to yell at the manager. My advise is not to waste your hard-earned money unless you like to yell and argue to get what you already paid for.

I paid for an extended warranty when I bought my first Harley. Several times I went into the service department with an issue and everytime they said it was not covered. I just got a used Dyna this year and the sales department told me all those issues should have been covered. The only guy I know who got them to apply the extended warranty had to yell at the manager. My advise is not to waste your hard-earned money unless you like to yell and argue to get what you already paid for.

What? Did you read your contract and take it with you, name the dealer, we are over40,000 now and we will pass this on:s

Sounds like a lousy dealer that lied to you more than a problem with the warranty. If a dealer says something is not covered then I ask for a reason, in writing, why it is not. If I do not agree then I have documentation I can use to argue to the dealer, the Motor company, and if you ever feel it is bad enough then to show a court as well.

My Audi dealer said a punctured radiator was not covered because it was road damage from a rock. After some arguing and them trying to explain exactly how the rock hit that spot without leaving a mark anywhere on the car or the radiator they repaired it on their dime while I drove a new model loaner for 4 days. "Not covered under the warranty" is the starting phrase of a negotiation/fight unless they have a good reason for saying that... like the hammer still stuck in the windshield where your wife put it while mad at you.

One year extended warranty is a waste of money. why spend $750 or $800for one year when you can get additional years for $200 more per year. $750 for one year of $1000 for three years is a no brainer. Do the required maintenance and have peace of mind that if anything happens it will be covered. griffy

Back