free website stats program Extended Warranty | Harley Davidson Forums

Extended Warranty

purplehazeultra

Bought a 08 Ultra Classic. Bike has 4000 miles. I am the third owner.
Factory warrenty is up in 20 days. Do I spend 800$ for a 1 year warranty or roll the dice?

Third owner huh? I would consider it. I bought a 2008 Fat Bob with 800 miles on it last August, still with factory warranty, but bought 1 more year. That way had 2 years on it. Piece of mind. If I was original owner, I would say no, but you don't know what last 2 owners did.

I know what the 2nd owner did. However I do not know the 1st. I did find out they has the 1000 mile sevice done and there was a recall done to it. Bike runs great but still think it may be a well spent 800 bucks.
Thanks

I would buy the extended but I would want the 5 year if I was going to buy any warranty.
kemo

Agree w/kemo...you'll get a better deal on the longer coverage. Call them & try to work a deal - maybe the poor economy will payoff. Good Luck & let us know how it works out.

I wouldn't, but then again I don't buy extended warranties on anything, as I think that they are mostly a rip off, especially if a company is constantly trying to weasel their way out of their repsonsibliities. If all of the work has been done to it that has supposed to have been, service bulletins, etc. then I would call it good and bank the $.

This is a tough call and only YOU can make the decision that's right for you. We don't know your financial situation, mechanical abilities, risk tolerance, etc.

It sometimes helps to substitute the words "insurance policy" for "extended warranty" because that's essentially what you're buying.

Oh, one other thing to keep in mind. You can rest assured that the MOCO would not be offering these warranties if it didn't make THEM money in the overall scheme of things.

I wouldn't, but then again I don't buy extended warranties on anything, as I think that they are mostly a rip off, especially if a company is constantly trying to weasel their way out of their repsonsibliities. If all of the work has been done to it that has supposed to have been, service bulletins, etc. then I would call it good and bank the $.

I have to agree here. Put the money in the bank, especially if you know the second owner.

Like Iceman said, try to negotiate a longer warranty. In my case I had a 2000 RK which had to have the lower end rebuilt, cams and shoes, and complete MM injection and throttle body replaced each at different times for $50.00 a pop.

On my 08 RG I have 4 years ESP on it. So far under the factory warranty they have replaced the HK radio 3 times due to display failure. What else may happen? Yes I believe in the ESP program.

I am with Loinsm53. I very rarely buy extended warranties for anything. They are pushed on us from every direction. The reason is they make a hunk of money by rolling the dice themselves. If it were a better bet for the consumer than the warranty provider, they would not try to sell them to us. I might miss on the bet once and a while, but overall I am way ahead by not buying extended warranties.

Back