free website stats program Ever seen anyone fuel up on the bike? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Ever seen anyone fuel up on the bike?

OK...A few questions here.

Why do you get more gas in the tank when sitting on the bike as compared to it resting on the stand. When it's on the stand, the filler neck is the highest point in the tank and I think this would result in getting more gas in the tank. Standing upright, the air pockets would be distributed in both half's of the tank. True the crossover would help here but not as much as if the left side was lower than the right side resting on the stand.

Second, I would rather be standing next to the bike as opposed to sitting on it just in case anything went wrong when fueling up as far as it catching fire. I've seen some people overfill the tank and fuel ran over the tank and dripped down because they were trying to get a good fill and pulled the gas nozzle up level with the filler neck. This was not a good thing because if they parked in the sun and the fuel heated up and expanded, there would be an overflow from the expansion and fuel would find it's way to the ground and cause a potential situation for a fire.
Just my way of looking at it from a safety standpoint.

When filling the tank on the kickstand the opening is low and a large air pocket above it will not get filled.
Just take any container and try to fill it on a slant. The gas will pour out while there is a big air pocket above it.
When the tank is level the gas inside is level and you will get the best fill. There is no more danger sitting on the bike
as compared to standing next to it. Some people may not be coordinated enough to do it this way but they also should
not chew gum and try to think at the same time.

Sitting on the bike is one thing standing and trying to balance it is another, and why take off your helmet i have no idea, and i'm not sure you would get more gas that way.let's talk about lane splitting next.

When filling the tank on the kickstand the opening is low and a large air pocket above it will not get filled.
Just take any container and try to fill it on a slant. The gas will pour out while there is a big air pocket above it.
When the tank is level the gas inside is level and you will get the best fill. There is no more danger sitting on the bike
as compared to standing next to it. Some people may not be coordinated enough to do it this way but they also should
not chew gum and try to think at the same time.

If you have the two piece tanks and are filling the left side like on the older bikes with the flatside tanks that had two fills, THEN the fill is low but newer bikes have a one piece tank and the fill is on the right side of the tank, the high side, that's why I commented on leaving the bike on the stand. I guess here it depends on which tank you have.

My preference is off bike. Got to get to the debit card anyway :coffee, Face it, if she blows up, on or off the bike, I’m looking for a marshmellow to roast on the way back down. Besides gasing up is a good time to do a fast once over on the bike.

I fill my honda shadow while sitting on it to keep it upright. the Harley I fill when it's on the kickstand. the shadows cap is in the center of the tank and the HD's is on the right. as far as catching on fire.........when it's your time it's your time and if that's how I'm gonna go then at least noone will forget the day that guy blew up filling his bike up at their local gas station.

Personally I do get off the bike when filling but don't see any more danger if someone does it sitting on the bike.
If I had a center stand I would use it as my Sportster's fill hole is in the center of the tank and I only get 110 miles a tank full.
Plus I am usually chewing gum when I ride.

my fuel fill is in center on my ultra, so upright works best. unlike the road kings that fill from the one tank. I keep my fuel card in my buttoned jacket pocket for easy access and I just pull up to pump, slide card, fill bike and go. I don't take off helmet cause that will just delay my pitstop by a few more seconds. I wanna ride. Fuel stop = short and sweet. Now, about that lane splitting?

Back