free website stats program Ever seen anyone fuel up on the bike? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Ever seen anyone fuel up on the bike?

Here in the Uk and in fact in most of Europe (but around the Med.) it's self service. A because of the allready sky high fuel prices and B because gouvernment decided that to many pump attendents suffered from permanent damage to lungs and skin from the fuel vapors. When it was abolished in the Uk we still had leaded fuel.
But filling up whilst still on the bike should automatically result in 6 points on your licence. (12 and your out)

Here in the Uk and in fact in most of Europe (but around the Med.) it's self service. A because of the allready sky high fuel prices and B because gouvernment decided that to many pump attendents suffered from permanent damage to lungs and skin from the fuel vapors. When it was abolished in the Uk we still had leaded fuel.
But filling up whilst still on the bike should automatically result in 6 points on your licence. (12 and your out)

Agreed Harry, a subject close to home in my profession as a H&S officer:58:

:Banane44::Banane10::Banane09::Banane42::Banane08::Banane27::Banane39:

Happy 100 th post Mike

Last edited:
Last year i rode from so. calif. to sturgis where i wsa going to meet two brother in laws from mn. they really don't belong on bikes but. we pull in to get gas and one of them who is the worst of the two pulls to the pump stands up trying to balance his bike takes off the gas cap reaches for the pump handle, i said what the hell are you doing ? he says i can get more gas in the tank this way, i moved to another pump, he is pumping his gas lose's his balance his $450.00 helmet fall's hits and land's open end up he try's to catch it pulls the nozzle out of the tank still off balance fill's the helmet with gas and at least a gallon on the ground, the other one( his brother) jumps off his bike to help and forgets the kickstand, i tried not to laugh but. by the way i never ride in front of or to close to these guy's.:panic:panic

This is so freaking dangerous I don't even know where to begin. Seen this just the other day and boy did I give him an ear full.
First turn it off! You could cause a spark and catch fire very easily.And if it where to catch, you want to have to jump off then or just run?
Always keep the nozzle touching metal, keeps from causing static.
Take your helmet off espicially if hooked to the bike.
And lastly, want a lap full of gas?

I always get off and fill my own bike, even up here most attendants won't touch a bike cause there scared of getting a slap over the noggin if they spill gas or scratch the tank. Kinda puzzled here, I never wear my helmet when it is hooked to the bike.

Seems to me that the real issue here is not whether you're straddling the bike or standing next to it, but whether you're paying attention to what you're doing. Smoking while fueling is just as stupid/dangerous wherever your feet happen to be placed. One could probably make the same statement for phones.

How hard is it to pull up to a pump and concentrate on gassing up for what, all of the 90 seconds or so it takes to fill a motorcycle tank?

I've been riding pretty much daily for almost 40 years, and I can count on one hand the number of times I've gotten off the bike to fill the tank.

WOW, are there really places where an attendant will put gas,, in your Car, or Bike ????? I'm in Kentucky, but where I mostly travel from here to Fla,, there is no such place left since years man... It'd freak me out some dude offer to pump my gas. You northerners been trying to one up us since you lost to the south !:guitar

I sit on my ultra when refueling (with engine off)as I think it holds more fuel than when on side stand. I smoke, but would never even think of smoking while refueling. Thats crazy. But, I concentrate on putting the fuel in tank and not spilling and I see nothing wrong with my staying on bike while refueling.

my $.02 worth

Last edited:
I know someone who fills his bike while on it. I see how it is possible to get more gas in the tank.
As long as the motor is shut down how is this any more dangerous and why take off the helmet?

Back