free website stats program Engine Not Firing Properly. 1995 EVO | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine Not Firing Properly. 1995 EVO

It depends. As far as the coil goes, you can have 1 physical coil which contains 2 indendent electrical coils (2 primary, 2 secondary, 2 towers). You also can have 1 physical coil with 2 secondary towers, 1 secondary winding with 1 primary winding. Or you can have 2 physical coils, EACH with a single primary winding, single secondary winding and 1 tower.

That is why I asked how many primary terminals there were on your coil.

Hoop can't he see what you need if he pulls his coil cover off ? If it's an EVO (pre 1999) and it's OEM it's dual fire, but you will need to get the coil cover off to see the details.

Well guys, y'all are probably gonna want to kick me in the tail!! This is the second time in the last few days that I've found myself "looking for my glasses while they're on my face!"

If you read the original post, it says the bike was starting intermittently, as if it had a mind of its own. Well, after much head scratching, I decided to check the obvious... That was when I discovered that the positive terminal was loose. I had considered this several times, but decided it was tight by (oh boy, I can hear the sighs, laughter and insults about to rain down upon my dense head) merely looking at it and using my fingers as a wrench... I know, I know...

So, then I go out to look at the bike an hour or so ago. I was looking at the coil and about to remove it when I thought I'd better remove the battery terminals. While loosening the terminals (with a REAL wrench) I was looking at the FireBall module and noticed something funny. There are three wires that come out of the back of it. One is a harness type, multi-pin plug, and the two others are single-wire plugs. One of these is red, and the other is white. The red one has never had a mate, but the white one does. Well, looking at the module and the wires, that "something funny" elicited the thought, "Hmmm.... I thought there was only one wire/plug without a mate..." I immediately realized that the white wire had come unplugged somehow. I assume it got loose when I put the new battery in the bike and as I was warming the bike up, it vibrated out, thus causing the bike to run funny.

Plugged it back in. Bike fired RIGHT up and runs fine!!

I want to sincerely thank y'all for your help. You guys are serious gurus - I wish I knew what you guys know!!

Thanks again! Now, I'm goin' for a RIDE!!! Wooo-hoooo!!!!

:thanks:breakdance:tounge

Haha! I am so pumped, that I decided I wanted to thank y'all one more time!!!

Well guys, y'all are probably gonna want to kick me in the tail!! This is the second time in the last few days that I've found myself "looking for my glasses while they're on my face!"

If you read the original post, it says the bike was starting intermittently, as if it had a mind of its own. Well, after much head scratching, I decided to check the obvious... That was when I discovered that the positive terminal was loose. I had considered this several times, but decided it was tight by (oh boy, I can hear the sighs, laughter and insults about to rain down upon my dense head) merely looking at it and using my fingers as a wrench... I know, I know...

So, then I go out to look at the bike an hour or so ago. I was looking at the coil and about to remove it when I thought I'd better remove the battery terminals. While loosening the terminals (with a REAL wrench) I was looking at the FireBall module and noticed something funny. There are three wires that come out of the back of it. One is a harness type, multi-pin plug, and the two others are single-wire plugs. One of these is red, and the other is white. The red one has never had a mate, but the white one does. Well, looking at the module and the wires, that "something funny" elicited the thought, "Hmmm.... I thought there was only one wire/plug without a mate..." I immediately realized that the white wire had come unplugged somehow. I assume it got loose when I put the new battery in the bike and as I was warming the bike up, it vibrated out, thus causing the bike to run funny.

Plugged it back in. Bike fired RIGHT up and runs fine!!

I want to sincerely thank y'all for your help. You guys are serious gurus - I wish I knew what you guys know!!

Thanks again! Now, I'm goin' for a RIDE!!! Wooo-hoooo!!!!
The fact that you solved your own problem is a testament to being a good rider and trouble shooter best of all u may have already helped some one else, shouldn't you be out riding:s Best of luck to u now:rider

Hoop can't he see what you need if he pulls his coil cover off ? If it's an EVO (pre 1999) and it's OEM it's dual fire, but you will need to get the coil cover off to see the details.

Yes and no, depends on what coil it is, the best way to know for sure is pull the timer cover and see if there are 2 pick ups:s some have rear cylinder timing features some do not

Back