free website stats program Engine Idle Temperature Management System | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine Idle Temperature Management System

Yeah Jim let me know ...I checked again today and it appeared to be on already as I went to engage it turned off. Please keep me posted. thanks.
Redman

Mine enables and disables with the engine running, too.

I tried to turn it on once while my bike was running and did not have any luck , I just leave it off unless I know that I will be somewhere where I need it . I had the throttle memory disabled on my TBW , you know the feature that if you have the throttle rolled forward a little when you shut the bike off it will increase the engine idle speed , maybe that has some thing to do with it .

When the eitms is "engaged", the only time it will actually activate is when the idle temperature reaches a certain temp. (seems like I read 248deg.) above that temperature the rear cylinder cuts out at idle. If the temp drops below that threshold, it automatically disengages. Also, it is not necessary to "pre-rev" the engine before leaving from a light because it is set so that the slightest positive throttle roll will automatically disengage it.

When the EITMS first came out, I think the dealer had to set it to always be on or always off. You could ask the dealer to change the setting up to something like 4 times without a charge. Beginning with the 08 or the 09 touring models, the EITMS was set up so that the rider could turn it on or off by rolling the throttle forward instead of having to go to the dealer. At least that is my understanding.

08 Ultra, I can arm or disarm it by rolling the throttle forward. The cruise light will flash green (arm) or orange (disarm). Once armed it will cut in when the temp reaches the required temp (248deg?) as soon as you touch the throttle it returns to normal operations until the temp is reached again.

How do you know if this is turned on with an 07? Book says the dealer can turn it on or off. Bought the bike used and don't know.

Jim, if your light is green when you roll the throtte forward, then the system is on..the light indicates the status of the system when you check it. If you don't believe, release the throttle, roll it forward again, hold it for 3 -5 seconds, and watch the icon turn red. Your system is functioning like it should.

That's interesting. Mine is always off until I turn it on each time I start up the bike. I know because it always engages when I roll the throttle forward. And we both have basically the same bike. May have to talk to the dealer about this. I'd sure like to have it on by default.

Yep, the EITMS stays engaged (or not-engaged) when the bike has been turned off. One thing I've noticed that confuses the issue is that I have accidently changed its status by inadvertently rolling the thottle forward while sitting at a stop light. (Yes, you can change it with the engine running.)

Jim, if your light is green when you roll the throtte forward, then the system is on..the light indicates the status of the system when you check it. If you don't believe, release the throttle, roll it forward again, hold it for 3 -5 seconds, and watch the icon turn red. Your system is functioning like it should.

Mavagrand, my problem isn't in knowing the status of the system or how to turn it on and off. My problem is that I always have to arm the system whenever I start the bike. When I first start the bike, I roll the throttle forward for the 3 seconds and the light turns green. That tells me that the system was not armed when I started the bike. This happens every time I start the bike regardless of whether the EITMS was armed or disarmed when I turned off the motor. Having to arm it each time I start the bike isn't a big problem, but I'd rather have it armed by default each time I start the bike instead of having to arm it each time.

Back